I'm Kinda Bummed...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 14 May 2010 , 11:35am by peg818

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #1 of 11

I can usually follow written directions fairly well, in order to teach myself something. Since my Wilton class was cancelled, I'm trying to teach myself gum paste flowers. Tonight was only my second attempt. The first attempt I did Edna's calla lillies, and they turned out pretty well.

I bought the pack of gumpaste flower cutters from Wilton - cheap little plastic things, but I figured decent enough to learn on. The bottom line is that I pretty much suck. icon_cry.gif My flowers are drying, and while they aren't dreadful, they don't look remotely like the flowers in the book.

I won't give up, and I will continue trying, but I was hoping for better results tonight. Oh well, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...."

10 replies
mbark Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 11

I also bought those Wilton cutters & have had limited success. Learning how to make flowers is frustrating & I've been putting it off. More & more I'm thinking it's just not something I'm interested in perfecting. Good luck!

Joybeth Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #3 of 11

I have that book and cutters. It just takes a little practice. Most of them are pretty easy. Try mixing a little fondant with your gumpaste to make it easier to work with. Also you can never use enough sugar on your fingers. I'm not sure what problems you're having but I know you can make it!!!

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #4 of 11

Have any of you more experienced cake decorators used the Wilton cutters? Are they impossible to use? Can I learn to make flowers with these? It seems like I should be able to make flowers with them, or am I wrong? Any advice appreciated.

newmansmom2004 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 11

I've used those Wilton cutters and I don't think the instructions and cutters are as good as from other companies like Sunflower, PME, etc.

I've had far more success doing it on my own with the help of some instructional DVD's (Nick Lodge). Once you kind of get the process down for building sugar flowers, you can apply that to all kinds of flowers. Some of the tutorials on UTube are very helpful, too.

Don't give up - it's one of those things that takes practice and some good instructions.

enoid Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #6 of 11

I also bought the Wilton cutters and book. That book leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to explaining how to make the flowers. YouTube or the videos people on here recommend work much better because you can actually see how they do it. Keep trying, I just did my first flowers for an Easter cake. Though they weren't great they looked okay for just learning. I would upload the picture but 1) I have dial up and it would take forever to upload it and 2) I don't have a clue how to do it and both my children are out of town until the end of the month.

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the tips. My biggest problem is that the flowers were sticking to the rolling mat and tearing or smushing when I tried to remove them. I will watch more youtube videos and go from there. Thanks everyone!

Win Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Have any of you more experienced cake decorators used the Wilton cutters? Are they impossible to use? Can I learn to make flowers with these? It seems like I should be able to make flowers with them, or am I wrong? Any advice appreciated.

The cutters are not horrible, I use them for a lot of my flowers (although I have also amassed a huge collection of other cutters as well, but htere you have other issues such as seam lines and rusting if not careful) but the book is not what I'd recommend as a great learning tool. Use Rylan's link to gumpaste tutorials and always, always rely on Edna's tutorials --I've learned most of my flowers from either Edna or from the Alison Proctor book (although there are plenty of people on here who don't like her methods, they are very botanically correct.) http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853919349/?tag=cakecentral-20

Practice, practice, practice! Truly, that is the key.

Rylan's post:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html

KayMc Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 11

Win, thank you for the link to the amazon site. I ordered the book, and plan on spending tomorrow evening reviewing all those great tutorials. Thanks!!!! So Much!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #10 of 11

If you're having sticking issues, rub some crisco on your board and your hands and your rolling pin. Works much better than sugar or cornstarch because it helps keep the gumpaste moist.

I haven't much success with any Wilton stuff to be honest. I took a class and didn't learn anything from it, although I'm sure that was more the instructor's issue. I'll stick to my YouTube tutorials and articles from here.

peg818 Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:35am
post #11 of 11

I have used the wilton cutters, and frankly i wouldn't waste my money on them. Can you use them sure you can but the instructions that come with them are so poor you mid as well save your money.

I have found that JEM puts out a set of flower cutters that are very reasonably priced and are of much better quality. Although they come with no instruction, there is a very good book out called sugar flowers by jill mayhem that follows these cutters.

The other thing to do, is pick one flower, and buy a good set of cutters (i prefer metal) and veiners, then perfect that one flower before moving on to another type.

You tube is a wonderful place to find so much instruction for free, take a look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%