I Have Had It Enough With Icing

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:18am by DinasSugarShack

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 19

So here is my story. I have yet to find a recipe for buttercream that fits my criteria which are: non crusting (I don't like the crunshiness) good tasting and good for piping borders and drop flowers and such without losing shape. Not too much to ask right?

I tried the wilton buttercream and I don't like it (too crunchy), I tried the swiss meringue and it is too soft for piping. I tried whipping 35% cream and adding it to whipped Nutri Whip and it was too runny.

I am at my witt's end and seriously need to put this issue to bed. The only one I haven't tried yet is the neo classic buttercream where you make a syrup first and then add it to beaten egg whites. What are your thoughts on that?

I asked around about the icing you get on cakes that you buy from bakeries but was told that it is a commercial product and can't be bought by me and I can't make it.

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated

Dina

18 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 19

I don't understand what you mean by "crunchy"? icon_confused.gif I use a crusting buttercream, Indydebi's receipe, and yes it crust but it is in no way "crunchy".

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 19

I would recommend trying SugarShacks recipe or Indydebis recipe. They are both crusting buttercreams but definitely don't get crunchy. The consistency can be adjusted depending upon what you want to use it for by adding powdered sugar to thicken it or milk to thin it down. I have had the wilton recipe get crunchy and I think its because of the meringue powder.

I can't speak to the neo classical buttercream as I have never tried a recipe that has eggs in it. I use the sugarshack recipe except that I use butter along with the hi ratio shortening and I use heavy cream as my liquid. Not sure if this is helpful or not!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 19

I use swiss meringue and pipe with it all the time. Borders, scrolls, etc. I know some people that pipe flowers with it but I never could pipe flowers with anything.

If you have hot hands maybe you could try using a couple different piping bags that way you can rotate them in the frig so the SMBC doesn't get too soft.

Perhaps you just need to tweak a few recipes to get something to your liking? Don't be afraid to experiment.

I use a SMBC recipe from Martha Stewart's website. I also use a powd sugar bc that is half butter, half shortening. It doesn't really crust though. I use a hot spatula to smooth it. HTH a little!

icon_smile.gif

DinasSugarShack Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 19

Thank you ladies for your replies. When I say crunchy I mean grainy, the sugar is not quite melted in there (I am not sure if that makes it any clearer).

can you post the link to the sugarshack recipe? I am new here and not sure where to find it.

Dina

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #6 of 19

Are you sifting your powdered sugar?

Also, I find that pure cane sugar performs better for me than beet sugar.

If you've never used hi-ratio shortening, I would recommend trying that as it makes a very "creamy" frosting.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super link has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams (both Crisco and hi-ratio) as well as doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) and so much more!

Here's a creamy Crisco based buttercream recipe that is only minimally crusting:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

HTH

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 19

You may want to check out Edna's youtube video on making buttercream icing. I recently tried it and have recieved so much positive feedback. I really like it and really easy to smooth. I didn't have any Viva towels for my last cake and I actually smoothed it out using a sheet of printer paper. Just go to youtube and search for how to make buttercream by tonedna1.

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 19

My buttercream is never grainy. Are you sifting your powdered sugar? I always sift all of my dry ingredients.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #9 of 19

i got this receipt from a pastry chef, and it's not the sickening sweet, 1 cup crisco,1 stick of parkay margarine, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1lb 10x confectioners sugar,

when i don't want it to crust, i use butter instead of the parkay, like on cupcakes, and even borders.

do you mean the bc taste's a little stiff like a slight crust over it, that's normal, i made a sponge bob with the 3 star tip and it was hard not so much crunchy, but i think i know what you mean, next time i will use a non crusting. i also like sugar shack's recipe, when i need alot of bc

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 19

I have used Indydeb's butter cream also. It did not crust up to the point of being crunchy nor grainy.

What brand of powdered sugar are you using? Store brand sugar's could have a higher percentage of corn starch and that is why you will get the graininess.

As for SMBC, if the sugar is still grainy then you are making it wrong. You cook the sugar til it is dissolved and no longer grainy when rubbing it between your two fingers. And SMBC takes granular sugar. But again depending on which brand you use, you could be getting ingredients in your baking you didn't know were there.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

What brand of powdered sugar are you using? Store brand sugar's could have a higher percentage of corn starch and that is why you will get the graininess.

I found this with the Walmart Brand of Icing sugar. It never occured to me that there would be such a difference but it was very grainy. I tossed it and went back to the redpath icing sugar.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 19

I used Walmart brand for years and never got the graininess. But you do have to check on them to make sure that they are cane or pure cane sugar. If it just says sugar in the ingredients it is probably beet sugar which will cause the graininess. Store brands can switch back and forth between beet and pure cane because they get what is available the cheapest.

SugarShack's recipe I believe has you adding warm liquid to the icing, that may help you with your grainy issue??

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 19

just a little fyi neoclassic (aka French buttercream...not french buttercream like some consider french buttercream that is made with cooked flour though...)buttercream is made with yolks not whites and it is as stable (or unstable depending on how you look at it) as SMBC or IMBC.

For a firmer end product, I cook my whites and sugar mixture longer, whip it longer, and add just a bit more butter (chilled...not room temp...not cold...chilled) than is called for.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1150652

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pNO_pGHLqmFVXzVudVuby5ZsjNiICJK1AVXW-4KatVPU5oSsufFTkAZKpXkIwMz9khb-ADCYftJauoFdjphKr0A/Sample_297.JPEG

It can definitely be piped...a PP gave good 'hot hands' advice...several bags

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 19

I posted a recipe for whipped icing that is very creamy....it does use alot of shortening...but its non crusting and it holds its shape fine for borders, roses, piping when you get used to using it.

We used it at a catering place I worked at.

I use it mostly for weddings when I need a creamy smooth surface for the cake. I prefer the traditional sweet American style buttercream but I do use the whipped too.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 19

I highly recommend Italian Meringue buttercream ( heating sugar and water to a syrup and adding to whipped meringue)...many different recipes listed on this site....I can pipe with it and make flowers- it does not get 'crunchy' and tastes delightful, especially if you add some melted,cooled chocolate at the end....or fruit puree.
Good luck with your search and happy taste testing !

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 19

Here is a recipe that got great raves from decorators.WHIPPED CREAM BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

Since no ingredient spoils, the frosting will keep for 3 months. (After that it
begins to break down and get watery.) Just whip again with a spoon each
time you use it to restore fluffiness. Save any left over colors for next cakes. If you use two pound bags of powdered sugar and they have not been opened you don't have to sift the sugar. I only use C & H powdered sugar in my frosting's. I use Hi ratio shortening not Crisco and it makes a huge difference in the end result. My butter cream is a crusting recipe but I have never had anyone complain about it being crunchy. 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 stick salted butter, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/3 cup water and 2 tablespoon clear vanilla. Whip for 5 to 7 minutes until light and fluffy.

mamawrobin Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:29pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I used Walmart brand for years and never got the graininess. But you do have to check on them to make sure that they are cane or pure cane sugar. If it just says sugar in the ingredients it is probably beet sugar which will cause the graininess. Store brands can switch back and forth between beet and pure cane because they get what is available the cheapest.

SugarShack's recipe I believe has you adding warm liquid to the icing, that may help you with your grainy issue??

I use Indydebi's receipe but I warm my milk (I use half and half) before adding. I also beat my shortening 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinasSugarShack

I asked around about the icing you get on cakes that you buy from bakeries but was told that it is a commercial product and can't be bought by me and I can't make it.

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated

Dina

The stuff at the bakeries is "Rich's Bettercreme" and YOU can buy it. Sam's club sells it already whipped in huge buckets for under $20, or you can buy it from GFS (Gordon Food Service) in liquid for for under $5/quart (enough to ice a half sheet cake w/ decorations)

Nice name (My name is Tina)my business name is Tina's Sugar Shack lol

DinasSugarShack Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #19 of 19

Oh my goodness, I am so grateful for this site and the wealth of info I get here. Thank you sweettreat for your recipes I will try them for my next cake, I have to get my hands on high ratio shortening first.
KHalstead thank you for that, no one has been able to tell me about this icing before, I will go to Sam's and check it out.
I did try over the weekend a recipe a friend gave me that uses the boiling water method but it uses shortening and butter, it tasted good but wasn't stiff enough.
Would adding the meringue powder and using a little less water resolve that issue?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%