Frustrated Making Buttercream

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 13 May 2010 , 10:09pm by mamawrobin

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

I made 3 knids of buttercream today. One was sugarshacks, one was just like Wiltons and indydeby. Idydebi's was the only one that turned out decent. One batch I just threw away. I seem to have to just mix it my own way because sugarshacks way just does not work for me. Lots of air. So when I made the dream whip one I just kind of winged it it came out better and I only made one batch with my mixer half full and it did the best. It is pretty dry here in Idaho so I seem to have to add more fat and liquid it seems. Kind of frustrating .
Any thoughts send them my way.

3 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 4

are you creaming your butter and crisco for a long time??

I just started doing it. for like 15 minutes. just the butter and the crisco and sometimes the flavors, and I just let it GO and GO and GO.

my BC is turning out better than it ever has..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 4

Adding more fat like crisco/butter, will help make your icing creamier. If Indy's recipe worked best for you, I'd work with that one adjusting the fat to get it to fit your needs better.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 4

I love Indydebi's receipe but there are two things that I do different. I beat my crisco (shortening) for 15 minutes before adding any other ingredient and I heat (not boiling, just hot) my half and half (milk) before adding. I like the results even more. thumbs_up.gif It's very creamy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%