I Need A Garden Themed Smash Cake Idea

Decorating By mykidscakemaker Updated 14 May 2010 , 6:20pm by melmar02

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a first birthday cake this week, the theme is garden. Mom has requested lots of grass, a little pondf with a yellow ducky in it, lots of little flowers, lady bugs and bees. the cake I can handle... the smash cake that I always give for a first birthday cake compliment has me kinda baffled!

Any ideas on something simple and pretty? The birthday girl is like one of my own kids, so I want to make it special for her icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!!

11 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry, wrong post. icon_rolleyes.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 12

what about just a mini version of the large cake? 4" round single layered cake iced in bc w/ bc grass around sides and flowers and ladybugs on top?

GuinnessTigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuinnessTigger Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 12

I made this smash cake for a butterfly and flower themed birthday cake. I cut a 6 inch round into this shape and made a large butterful out of modeling chocolate for the top.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1527228&sub=1527230

atwistedlime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atwistedlime Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 12

The flower idea is great. I love the little butterfly. I recently saw a small ladybug cake that was adorable and I think would make a cute smash cake.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 12

OK, I'm lost. What is a smash cake?

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 12

Thanks ladies!!

A smash cake is what you put in front of the birthday boy/girl for them to dig in to, and get all messy with icon_smile.gif For those classic first birthday party pictures... without messing up the cake for the guests icon_smile.gif I think it's a fairly new trend... I've only been hearing about it for a couple years at most. I never did them for my three kids... though I wish I had for my daughter... she stuck her FOOT in the cake!! icon_smile.gif (She'll be 9 next month... she loves that story icon_smile.gif)

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:35am
post #8 of 12

Hello

I made this garden cake some time ago but it doesn't really do as a smash cake

Maybe this volcano cake will give you an idea for a smash cake

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:51am
post #9 of 12

How about a little ducky? I like the lady bug idea too!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 12

I've made these little lady bug cakes about a MILLION times, I use the mini egg pan, they're super easy and quick. I airbrush the color!

Also, I made this little butterfly smash cake out of 2 pieces of cake cut with a heart cookie cutter!
LL
LL

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

What a great idea! I've got my grandaughter's 1st birthday coming up, so I think I'll make her a "smash" cake too. I love it and thanks for educating me!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 12

I would just do a small cake in the same theme - like a big flower. Something with a bright color for all those pictures of the babe covered in icing. I don't have a 4" pan, so I use the half ball.

Remember not to use anything that's a chocking hazard in / on the smash cake like little royal icing decorations. Also ask the client about any dietary restrictions - some peditritions don't want kids to have chocolate, nuts or strawberries until they are 2 now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%