Need Advice On Rolling Pins

Baking By splymale Updated 14 May 2010 , 1:30pm by KHalstead

splymale Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! I use a rolling pin for both cookie & pie dough, use it ALL the time. I love the marble rolling pin w/ handles, but I go through 1 a year. Any suggestions on rolling pins? What do others use?
Thanks!

14 replies
mygirlssweet Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 15

I to would like to know what pin is best. I despise mine (simple wood one).

Maria_Campos Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 15

PVC pipe, it's cheap and light and you can cut it to what ever length you need. Or the Wilton rolling pin, sorry I had to plug it since I'm an WMI icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 15

I see a lot of people using those HUGE stainless steel ones, but they are $$$!!!

I use pvc pipe, there are no handles though so if you're one that likes to use handles you wouldn't like it. But they're cheap and last forever and you can get any size you'd like!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

PVC pipe, it's cheap and light and you can cut it to what ever length you need. Or the Wilton rolling pin, sorry I had to plug it since I'm an WMI icon_lol.gif

DITTO thumbs_up.gif I love both and I'm not a WMI.

Maria_Campos Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

DITTO thumbs_up.gif I love both and I'm not a WMI.

You are a forum addict! icon_lol.gif put me to shame!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 15

I know..I know...I need HELP icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 15

mamawrobin............seriously I NEED HELP!! My DS has a DSi gaming system and I used it to get on cake central last night!! lol

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 15

Tina are we related? When my computer was down I made my son switch phones with me because he has unlimited internet access and I don't. icon_redface.gif

tmac670 Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 15

I love my Wilton rolling pins- both the large fondant and small 9 inch one!

dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 15

I preffer my PVC pipe to my handle rolling pin AND my Wilton Rolling Pin... it's good for both... rolling the fondant and pushing the fondant....

luv2bake6 Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #12 of 15

I've had mine for years. It's called a Silpin. It's silicon coated (no handles) and is quite heavy. I use it to roll out any type of dough.

splymale Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 15

When you say pvc pipe, you just cut a piece of pipe & sand down the edges?

Lita829 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

I've had mine for years. It's called a Silpin. It's silicon coated (no handles) and is quite heavy. I use it to roll out any type of dough.

I have the same thing and I love it. It is a little heavier than the average rolling pin so you don't need to put as much muscle into rolling out fondant, cookie dough, pie dough...etc.

KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

When you say pvc pipe, you just cut a piece of pipe & sand down the edges?

I don't even sand anything, just cut the length you want and then I soak it in a sanitizing solution for an hr. or so and then run it through the dishwasher!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%