Advice On Cake Tastings

Business By gsbcakes Updated 15 May 2010 , 5:03pm by Kitagrl

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

Do any of you travel to meet customers for tastings? We had someone request we meet them 30 minutes away. I personally think they should come to us or we should charge a fee for traveling that distance. Any advice on this would be helpful. We just started our business and are not sure what to tell this person. So far everyone has come to the bakery for tastings. Thanks in advance!

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I come to them mostly, but I'm home-based. Anyone outside of my town (basically anyone outside a 5 mile radius) I charge $1.00/mile one way to them!

charge them if they don't want to come to you. I actually prefer going to the client because I don't have to figure out if they're going to show up or if they'll be on time! lol

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

Do you have a store front? If so, then I would say no, they need to come to you. I actually prefer to travel, because I have an in-home bakery and I feel like my kids are a distraction if people come to my house. But if you have a store front, there is no need for you to travel!

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

We do have a store front.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 7

You know, in this day and age, a 30-minute drive is no big deal, so there's no reason they can't come to you.

Is their dress shop loading up all the dresses and meeting them somewhere, too?

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 7

We do both. I used to exclusivly be the one to travel, however, now that we have a store front, we give customers the option. Those that don't drive, and actually, even those that do appreciate the extra added service. A planner once told me to never take away that offer, customers like me because I'm willing to "go the distance" for them.. lol..

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

I meet at a coffee shop (I work from home). I don't meet people at custom places though...I don't see the need. If I am consulting with a business, I go to that business, ya know? Unless its those "we come to your house" carpet guys or something...

Plus in this day in age, I don't feel comfortable going alone to a stranger's house...and if a public place, they are the ones who want the business, so they can just as easily drive to your coffee shop as you can drive to theirs...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%