Ok, So Here Goes... I Need To Make This...

Decorating By cakedreamer101 Updated 15 May 2010 , 3:05am by leily

cakedreamer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer101 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make a Red Velvet Cake from scratch that will be carved/shaved into a particular logo as a groom's cake. The bride-to-be wants it sinfully decadent...

I need to use 12x18 jelly roll pans. Their quantity is about 12 cups, right?

Will 3 layers be too high? or should I do 2 layers and torte it into a 4-layer cake?

How much, in cups, does the average cake recipe make, such that I can determine how many times to make the recipe? The recipe I am planning to use calls for 3 8" rounds...

Thanks everyone!

2 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 15 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #2 of 3

A 12 by 18 sheet pan uses 14 cups of batter to make 1 layer that is 2 inches high (using Wilton charts). As far as whether to use 3 layers or 2 layers and torte, that is just a personal preference, between you and the bride, and also how many servings you need. A third layer will add a lot more servings. I think most box mixes make 5 or so cups of batter, but it varies by the recipe. Make a single batch of your recipe and measure the quantity so you will know for sure.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedreamer101

I need to use 12x18 jelly roll pans. Their quantity is about 12 cups, right?

a jelly roll pan typically only has 1" sides, are you using a 12x18 jelly roll pan or a 12x18x2" cake pan? The amount of batter for each will be a big difference.

Quote:

Will 3 layers be too high? or should I do 2 layers and torte it into a 4-layer cake?

Depends on how thick your layers are. And as previously stated how many layers will depend on what you and the bride agree on. But if you go over 4" in height of cake you'll need to use a cake board and dowels to support the extra cake.

Quote:

How much, in cups, does the average cake recipe make, such that I can determine how many times to make the recipe? The recipe I am planning to use calls for 3 8" rounds...

I don't think there is a standard for a cake recipe. Are you planning on using box mixes or are you making the cake from scratch? Box mixes range anywhere from 4-6 cups depending on the brand and the flavor. Scratch recipes all depend on the recipe.
My guess is the 3 - 8" rounds is for a 1" or 1-1/2" pan, but not for sure. I would defintely base it off of cups of batter though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%