Schedule Of Events

Decorating By artsycakes14 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm by cheatize

artsycakes14 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 8

Hey Everyone, I was just going to see if I can get some advice. So I try to plan well the week before the cakes are due to avoid stress. I was wondering how you guys plan your week when you have more than one cake due on Saturday morning. I have 3 this week. I have made all my fondant, buttercream, and cakes (in the freezer). With one cake due Saturday morning I would usually be fine with filling the cake covering the cake and decorating all Friday. But with three, I am thinking I want to fill and ice cakes Thursday and stick them in the fridge. My concern is that they will get dry if not eaten till Saturday. Is that true. What do you think? Thanks!

7 replies
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 8

if you don't need to refrigerate them, then don't..........THAT is what dries them out!

jenmat Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 8

If I have a busy week, which is every week this summer, I torte, fill and ice on Wed, decorate Thurs/Fri and deliver on Sat (if delivery is needed.)
Never had an issue. Biggest thing would be to get the cake covered with icing right after torting and filling. That locks in freshness.

I always refrigerate, b/c of perishable fillings and just because I like to. But there are a lot of people who wouldn't let their cake see the inside of a fridge.

kakeladi Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

They will be just fine if iced and decorated even today (Thursday). As was said, do NOT put them in the frig. - yes, it does dry out cake faster than if left at room temp. (That is unless it is hot and humid where you live.)

hatlady Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 8

For the decotators looking for information on the Cake Expo in Atlanta, It has been rescheduled. There was no further information as to when it will be. It was supposed to be at The Atlanta World Congress Center.

I will be in Alanta and was looking forward to being at the Cake Expo, I guess I'll settle for some time at Nicolas Lodge's shop!

artsycakes14 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much! Good to know that the fridge dries them out.

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 8

Get started on those cakes! They will be fine thumbs_up.gif and I agree, do not refrigerate.

cheatize Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 8

Is there a difference between scratch and box when it comes to the timeline? I've got an order for a cake that was supposed to be delivered Thursday and I just found out it won't be served until Saturday. My original plan was to bake Tuesday and decorate Wednesday for a Thursday delivery. However, now that I know it won't be served until Saturday I'm wondering if I should tell them to pick it up on Friday or Saturday so I can roll forward on the baking by one day.

It's a scratch cake with buttercream filling and icing. The colors are maroon and gold, which I know will bleed if I freeze it. Additionally, there will be fondant/gumpaste figures on it that have to be hard in order to stand on the cake.

I didn't see in this thread where scratch or box was mentioned, and I know box has stabilizers and such so I'm thinking that makes a difference in the timeline. I looked it up on baking 911 and she says undecorated cakes are okay for 2 up to 5 days but that decorated cakes are only good for two. However, box or scratch wasn't mentioned.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give me. I'm going to start making the figures tonight. I wanted to start them yesterday but he didn't get back to me with the specific colors until late last night. He understands there may be a drying issue with the figures at this point since he delayed getting the info to me. (I'm just putting this in there in case someone has a question about it.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%