Why Am I Procrastinating?

Lounge By mommybaker602 Updated 14 May 2010 , 6:29pm by KHalstead

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 27

So, I have a cake due for Sunday night, but my kids have sports activities all day Saturday and Sunday, so any logical person would know that they should probably bake and freeze today and tomorrow, then ice/decorate on Saturday morning, right? Why the heck haven't I started? I also have to have a fondant bow for the top, so I should really have the loops made and drying...again, not even started. I really wanted to get this business going, so why am I already procrastinating? I also have 350 cuppies due for Wednesday and Thursday...I have 100 baked and in the freezer, but only because I was making mini cuppies for a bridal tasting last weekend. Otherwise, I wouldn't have them done yet. What is wrong with me? icon_mad.gif Someone give me a kick in the booty to get moving!

Thanks for letting me vent...or procrastinate a little longer icon_redface.gif

26 replies
Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 27

Welcome to the real world. We ALL procrastinate. Don't even ask me how many cakes I have this weekend. I have not started on any of them and today is Thursday!
Just think of the money you will make and get going! Think of all the new cake toys you will get with all the money you will make! That should get you going.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 27

are you getting burned out???? I always get like this when I start to get burned out!

I have 2 cakes due tomorrow am and I haven't even baked them yet and I just don't feel like it! lol

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 27

I did the same thing recently... two Communion cakes, a birthday cake, and my son's graduation cake all due within a week of each other. I was just plain-ole tired and kept putting things off. Needless to say, I had to double my efforts, but got them done. One of the nights I was up to 2 a.m. and just hate that! I have not done it for years and it just adds to the "tired" effect. I think I was just overwhelmed... I sure do admire the folks on here who can do it day-after-day-after-day. When it's not "fun" or on my terms, I tend to put off getting things done.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 27

Im taking less orders now because I think it was too much for me. Not that I procrastinated or anything, but I am working at home, taking care of a 2 year old BY MYSELF, maintaining the whole household, cooking, watering the garden, laundry, etc....and Im PREGNANT so all I want to do is sleep right now. LOL. I have two this weekend and I'm behind already. Its after 12pm and all Ive done is bake and make buttercream. My baking isnt even done. Just put the little one down for a nap so maybe I can move faster now...

Maybe it isnt so much procrastinating...maybe you are flat out tired from everything else going on in your life...LIKE ME! icon_smile.gif

I cut my orders back to two a weekend instead of 3 or 4. I just cant spend 50-60 hours a week on cakes when I have to take care of my 2 year old at the same time. Just doesnt work.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 27

wow.... Im in the same boat!!!! lol... and I always ask myself WHY????? right now I need to make fondant decoration fr a cke due tmo.... still not done.. and here I am... looking at the threads to help others.... what is wrong with me?????

it's what u said

P_R_O_C_R_A_S_T_I_N_A_T_I_N_G_!_!_!_!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 27

I'll respond to this post later.

icon_lol.gif

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 27

OK ladies - here's my best cheerleader impersonation...

Get up and moving! Those cakes aren't going to bake/ice/decorate themselves! We don't want to be up at 1, 2, dare I say 3am. Once you get started, you'll feel better. Before you know it, your georgous creation will be sitting there complete at the party, and you'll be basking in the ohhhs and ahhhhs of the guests... without dark circles under your eyes!

Putting away the pom poms now. icon_lol.gif

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 27

I suffer from this terrible "disease" also! I don't know what the cure is and WHY I KEEP doing it! icon_confused.gif I enjoy doing cakes although I feel stressed about them because I know I don't have the talent I desire and even something as simple as the 5 dozen cinn. rolls I have due tomorrow before subbing isn't even going yet. icon_mad.gif When I read about what Leah had due last weekend, I told my husband I was stressed just reading about it! Obviously, they can't suffer from procrastination and be successful! I didn't think I was a lazy person but I sure don't know WHY I keep doing it!! icon_cry.gif Could it be a therapy issue? LOL!

dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I'll respond to this post later.

icon_lol.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA too funny!

mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 27

Well, at least I don't feel so bad! What's strange is that I'm JUST starting my business. I think JCE62108 got it right...I'm burned out on LIFE! I have 2 small kids, am a SAHM, but feel like I'm always going. My 4year old just spilled her juice for the second time today...crap like that makes me want to scream! I've been going non-stop for at least a month, and it's going to get worse with summer coming. My kids bicker with each other when they're both home, so I'm already dreading that instead of enjoying my last 8 days of peace (who's counting, right?). Plus, my step-dad is coming in this weekend, then my mom is coming next week for 5 days...the stress of company on top of having cakes/cuppies due is about to put me over the top! icon_cry.gif

For some reason, this thread posted twice, and I didn't post my update...right after I posted that I needed to get moving, my client called and wants to push her cake out a week...she's procrastinated too long and didn't have time to get the graduation party planned! HA, so it's not just me! I'm still going to make it my goal today to get the loops made for the fondant bow. That's a small, but doable, task/goal for today.

Anyway, thanks for your support and understanding. I enjoy reading everyone's stories..makes me feel better icon_biggrin.gif

mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 27

Well, at least I don't feel so bad! What's strange is that I'm JUST starting my business. I think JCE62108 got it right...I'm burned out on LIFE! I have 2 small kids, am a SAHM, but feel like I'm always going. My 4year old just spilled her juice for the second time today...crap like that makes me want to scream! I've been going non-stop for at least a month, and it's going to get worse with summer coming. My kids bicker with each other when they're both home, so I'm already dreading that instead of enjoying my last 8 days of peace (who's counting, right?). Plus, my step-dad is coming in this weekend, then my mom is coming next week for 5 days...the stress of company on top of having cakes/cuppies due is about to put me over the top! icon_cry.gif

For some reason, this thread posted twice, and I didn't post my update...right after I posted that I needed to get moving, my client called and wants to push her cake out a week...she's procrastinated too long and didn't have time to get the graduation party planned! HA, so it's not just me! I'm still going to make it my goal today to get the loops made for the fondant bow. That's a small, but doable, task/goal for today.

Anyway, thanks for your support and understanding. I enjoy reading everyone's stories..makes me feel better icon_biggrin.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 27

I only make cakes occassionaly for friends and family and I still have that problem. I have found that I like decorating but I don't like the baking part. I will put off baking the cakes as long as possible. Once I get the cake done then I am ready to go!

C

KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybaker602

My kids bicker with each other when they're both home

Not sure how old your kids are (usually the older they are the better this technique works LOL) but when my kids fight, I say " Ok, ok stop!!!! Then I take them both by the hands and stand them face to face and make them name 3 things that they LOVE about the other person......it can't be about their appearance (like I like your eyes) it has to be about THEM, and if you can't think of 3 things MAKE THEM UP!"

When they're finished they have to apologize to eachother, and then they are on their merry little ways.

The first time I made my 9 yr. old son (who's 11 now) and my 4 yr. old daughter (who's six now) do it, my son said......."I can't think of ANYTHING that I love about HER!!" My DD said "I'll go"..then she rattled off about 5 things in 5 seconds that she loved about her older brother. She said "You help me when I fall down, you get me cups when I need a drink (she can't reach), you always play animals with me (she has little toy animals and her other brother wouldn't be caught dead mimicking a kitty voice to play with her lol), and you always read books to me because you're so smart!"

They walked away, my DS was crying and saying "you really like that I read to you??" It changed their relationship!!

Now they think it's funny when I make them do it, my 11 yr. old DS loves when he gets the opportunity to do it with his 8yr. old brother.
He says " I love that you chew with your mouth closed (he doesn't lol)
I love that you're not messy (he is)
I love that you don't pick your nose in public (he does)

lol.........he goes with the whole "if you can't think of anything nice, make it up...and uses it to his advantage to be a comedian!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 27

That's a great idea Tina! I need to try that with my kids!

mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 27

Tina,

My kids are 4.5 and 6.5. I'm definitely going to try that. The thing is, sometimes they are GREAT together, but other times they're just mean. Part of the problem is that my 4.5 is home with me by herself 2 days/week all day, and goes to preschool 3 days/week for a few hours...so she gets to do what she wants with me a lot. My 6.5 is in school all day every day. She has a hard time not pestering him when he's home, so he lashes out at her. She's just set in her ways, and with him home, it's total chaos! My son has picked up a bad attitude in the last month from school, too, which gets him in trouble. He's really snotty and mean. I've had to put soap in his mouth twice lately. I think that's what I'm dreading...knowing what COULD happen. They're pretty good kids for the most part, and I know they love each other, but sheesh...they stress me out, too! The first day of spring break this year, they were fighting in the car at 9:00 am! yep, just a few hours into the day and I was already screaming!

Thanks for the advice, though icon_smile.gif i'm definitely going to try it!

P.S. Sorry for the double posts...I have no idea why my computer is doing that! I've restarted it to see if that will stop it.

dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #17 of 27

Well.... my kids are 14 and 18!!!! and they bicker EVERYDAY ALL THE TIME!!!! ggrrrrrr I don't know what to do.... but anyways.

I took to heart that prep talk posted earlier and I made 2 of the 3 fondant details I needd to make... now on to the last one and then to make SMBC....

u think I can do it?!?!? hummmm let's see....

if u se me here at 3 am...u know I'm still on the same boat hehehehe

dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #18 of 27

DONE!!! YUPPYYYYY now on to SMBC! well... lemme check facebook... some threads... emails... then on to SMBC lol

mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #19 of 27

Well, I didn't make the stupid fondant bow, but I did make 2 dozen cuppies for my order of 360 next week. Into the freezer they went. Plus, I made a few mini cuppies of this new flavor for a bride to try. I delivered those to her mom's work...so I've accomplished something, just not my original goal. I still have time to go start the bow before my son gets home, so I'm going to at least go mix the fondant with gumpaste (I at least have both things made!), and color it yellow. Hey, it's a start!

I'm going, I'm going....wait, I'm still on here icon_cry.gif

mommybaker602 Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #20 of 27

well..................

I. DID. IT! I made the loops for my fondant bow! I have them hanging to dry right now icon_biggrin.gif I'll wait a few days and try to assemble it. I can officially say I completed my task/goal for the day! Wahoo!

dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:56pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

well..................

I. DID. IT! I made the loops for my fondant bow! I have them hanging to dry right now icon_biggrin.gif I'll wait a few days and try to assemble it. I can officially say I completed my task/goal for the day! Wahoo!

AWESOME!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am on my way too lol.... almost done with everything for today!!!! (keep in mind...I said... ALMOST! lol )

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #22 of 27

KHalstead, I love your post.

So sweet. We can learn so much from children.

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 27

My nephews birthday was 2 days ago and I still haven't started his cake - I'm not even sure what I want to make him!

KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:

Tina,

Thanks for the advice, though icon_smile.gif i'm definitely going to try it!

P.S. Sorry for the double posts...I have no idea why my computer is doing that! I've restarted it to see if that will stop it.

When my kids REALLY get going, I threaten to make them hold hands with eachother for an hour if they don't quit!!!! LOL That usually puts an end to it.

Another thing I do when they're just being nasty to eachother, not necessarily "fighting" but just making the other feel bad (ie; not playing with them, giving dirty looks, etc.) I make them stand face to face and hold hands and I tell them I'm setting a timer, they have to stand like that for 5 whole minutes and they can't laugh!!! They usually end up making weird faces at eachother and both end up hysterically laughing (along with anyone else watching) and when the 5 minutes is up, they usually congratulate eachother on the goofy faces they made and go off and play together!

Obviously my kids are punished for being nasty to eachother (it's not all fun and games), however these tactics are done in addition to that, because ensuring that they grow up truly LOVING eachother is REALLY important to me.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #25 of 27

I love you Tina!!!!!! My youngest is still too young for this, but I will use some of these in the future, and now with my daughter and her friends!

dalis4joe Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #26 of 27

should I try that with a 14 yrd old and an 18 yr old??? I think so... cause they sure act like they are 5-8 !

KHalstead Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #27 of 27

lol at dalis4joe........I'm telling you, the first time my 15 yr. old stepdaughter (13 at the time) and 6 yr. old DD (4 at the time) had to hold hands for 5 minutes looking at eachother I wish I had a camera. My stepdaughter was so agast that I would make her do that, I've never had to use it on her again she thinks twice before making mean faces at the little ones LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%