Think I Figured Out Part Of My Buttercream Trouble...

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 14 May 2010 , 12:14pm by aej6

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 10

I LOVE my beater blades but I think they've been folding too much air into my buttercream!!!

I was watching it today remix a batch from yesterday...and even though the icing covered the top of the beater, as it would scrape the sides, it would create pockets of air at the top edges.

I switched to the "old fashioned" beater and sure enough, it leaves the entire surface of the icing "closed" while it beats under the surface.

Its a bummer in a way, because you do end up having to manually scrape the bowl for butter and shortening clumps...but on the other hand....if I can get smooth buttercream for once...I'll do that!

Beater Blade still works AMAZING for cake batter....and mashed potatoes too....

9 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 10

I agree. I only use my beater blade for cake batter. I have actually broken one by the using it for my butter cream.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry but this might not be related to the topic but I always wonder if you have adjust the blade distance when you use the beater blade or you just leave it the same distance as the traditional blade?

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

A friend is a restaurant manager and gets some sort of restaurant industry magazine. She remarked to me that there was some article or part of an article that said the beater blade is hard on your mixer becase it causes the motor to work harder. Just a little FYI.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 10

I don't think I had to make any adjustments for my beater blade. The rubber panel added on to the blade touched the side of the bowl, so I didnt find the need to adjust. Also with it going to a point and that rubber panel also being pointy, it touches the bottom of my bowl. I still have to scrape becuase cake mix sticks onto the rubber thingy. That is as much as a PITA as scraping the bowl...so I'm not impressed with it.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 10

What do you mean by the "old-fashioned" beater? Are you talking about the whisk attachment? Thanks!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 10

No just a regular flat beater.

cookiedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedecorator Posted 14 May 2010 , 5:27am
post #8 of 10

My mixer has to be adjusted everytime I use my beater blade. It's annoying.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:54am
post #9 of 10

I do not make butter cream made with Crisco with my beater blade anymore. It has a hole that runs through the center that is impossible to clean, at least for me. I have to get a skewer down in there to get out the crisco based butter cream that won't melt in the hot, hot dish water.

I also don't like the fact that it is plastic. I don't adjust my mixer for the two different blades, but I notice it does make a squeeky nose for a few seconds when I first use it.

And I find it interesting it affects the mixer motor. I'll have to think about this. Do you have the name of the magazine your brother read it in?

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I don't think I had to make any adjustments for my beater blade. The rubber panel added on to the blade touched the side of the bowl, so I didnt find the need to adjust. Also with it going to a point and that rubber panel also being pointy, it touches the bottom of my bowl. I still have to scrape becuase cake mix sticks onto the rubber thingy. That is as much as a PITA as scraping the bowl...so I'm not impressed with it.

I absolutely agree; not with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%