How Do I Make A Pizza Sized Cookie?

Baking By LindieLu Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 5:16am by qweenie

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 25

I had a request for one of those huge cookies (pizza sized). She wants a sugar cookie (with no frostong on top!) I"m not really sure how to go about this? Do you have any suggestions??

24 replies
missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 25

I make a fruit pizza with a sugar cookie as the "crust" and make the dough and just roll it or pat it out on a round pan. I have a pizza stone I use but have used a metal pizza pan and even a large oven safe frying pan in a pinch. I bake mine at 325 for about 18-22 minutes.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 25

I did a chocolate chip one on a pizza pan, I patted out the dough close to the edges. I also noted that it tended to be thicker in the center while I was patting it out, so I was able to catch it in time and thin out the center a bit so it was more even throughout, making sure my edges were thick. I also baked at 325.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 25

I use my cake pans for large cookies. I put a piece of parchment in the bottom so I don't have to worry about it sticking anywhere and bake until done.

Haven't done a sugar cookie this way, but have done chocolate chip quite a few times.

Could also use a pizza pan if you have one (i don't though, i have more variety in cake pans)

LindieLu Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 25

Thanks Ladies! I'll do a trial run this weekend. icon_smile.gif I'll let you know how it turns out!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 25

Like missmikey, i make a fruit pizza with sugar cookie dough. I lay parchment paper on my pizza pan and place clumps of dough randomly around the pan then pat them together with my fingertips (use gloves.) I stop about 1/4" short of the edge and actually leave the edge just a tad thicker --no terribly thicker, but slightly more raised than the rest of the cookie. I'll try to attach a picture, but I'm not really good at it for some reason, so if it does not work and you want to see it, email me and I'll attach it that way.
LL
LL

Win Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 25

Well, at least it attached! Not sure why it attached twice though. icon_redface.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 25

oh yum!!! I sooooooooooooo want a piece of that!

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 25

Anybody have any cookie recipes for these they want to share ?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 25

I used the toll house choc chip cookie recipe.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbrats

I just use my regular cookie recipes since they are already "approved" by customers and family.

Win Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:

When I'm throwing a fruit pizza together for family on a "spur of the moment" type thing, I don't hesitate to use Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough one finds in the dairy section of the chilled foods. When I'm making it for someone other than family, I use the No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe found here on CC.

When I make a large chocolate chip cookie, I actually have found the recipe that Wilton includes on their large cookie pans to be very well adapted to this particular style of large cookie.

HTH!

LindieLu Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:

When I'm throwing a fruit pizza together for family on a "spur of the moment" type thing, I don't hesitate to use Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough one finds in the dairy section of the chilled foods. When I'm making it for someone other than family, I use the No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe found here on CC.

When I make a large chocolate chip cookie, I actually have found the recipe that Wilton includes on their large cookie pans to be very well adapted to this particular style of large cookie.

HTH!

Win- thanks for posting that picture.. man that looks sooo delicous!! It gives me some ideas too (since she doesn't wany any frosting on it - I wonder if she'll go for the cream cheese topping). About that No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe... is the cookie soft and chewy?? I'm nervous about making this because I'm afraid it will turn into a big ole hockey puck! haha

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #14 of 25

While i hate doing trial runs, maybe this would be good for you to try the NFSC in the pan and see if it works for you? Let us know how you do, i'd love to hear about it.icon_smile.gif

LindieLu Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

While i hate doing trial runs, maybe this would be good for you to try the NFSC in the pan and see if it works for you? Let us know how you do, i'd love to hear about it.icon_smile.gif

I don't like doing trial runs either.. but since this is a cookie and not a cake... it won't take much time or effort to bake... plus it won't take long to eat! icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #16 of 25

I always put a flower nail in the center to be sure it cooks through. I never tried it any other way so not sure it helps but I get ALOT of requests for it. I also use parchment paper and cook at 325.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #17 of 25

What would one charge for a large cookie like this decorated for a birthday?? I may deicde to offer this to my customers but would like to know what to charge.

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 15 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 25

I sell the 8" round for $20 and the 12" round for $35.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks Echooo3..That is what I wanted to know!!

LindieLu Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #20 of 25

I did a trial run last night... i actually ended up using refrigerated sugar cookie dough and it turned out awesome! They want the cookie to be like Subways and it tastes just like that! I ended up using parchment paper so that worked out great as far as getting it out of the pan. I'm so taking the easy way with this one and using Pillsbury sugar cookie dough! icon_smile.gif thanks for the suggestions!

I'm going to do a cookie bouquet along with this... wonder if Pillsbury will work for that too.. hmm...

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindieLu

I'm going to do a cookie bouquet along with this... wonder if Pillsbury will work for that too.. hmm...

I'm not positive about this, but I'm thinking the Pillsbury sugar cookies might puff up more than you'd like for cookies in a bouquet. Probably not a big deal if the exact shape isn't a huge concern for you (circles, for example), but if there's much detail to the cookie cutter, you might lose a lot of it due to the puffiness. I prefer something like "No Fail Sugar Cookies" when I want the cookies to keep their shape.

LindieLu Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

Quote:

I'm not positive about this, but I'm thinking the Pillsbury sugar cookies might puff up more than you'd like for cookies in a bouquet. Probably not a big deal if the exact shape isn't a huge concern for you (circles, for example), but if there's much detail to the cookie cutter, you might lose a lot of it due to the puffiness. I prefer something like "No Fail Sugar Cookies" when I want the cookies to keep their shape.

Thanks for the advice! She actually decided not to go with a cookie bouquet (what a relief!) icon_smile.gif i did the large cookie and an order of cuppies.

LindieLu Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! She actually decided not to go with a cookie bouquet (what a relief!) icon_smile.gif i did the large cookie and an order of cuppies.

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #24 of 25

oops...didn't even notice the date on your original message! icon_smile.gif

qweenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qweenie Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:16am
post #25 of 25

Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix in the bag is really tasty for the big cookie too. I use the BC choc chip mix. NFSC is awesome for smaller cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%