Wax Or Parchment, Please??

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 13 May 2010 , 2:46pm by KHalstead

TheCakerator Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 6

Do you use wax paper or parchment paper to outline (collar) your cake pan, to let your cake rise higher then normal? Thanks!!

5 replies
terrylee Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

I use waxed paper to line the bottom of the pan and wrap with a dampened strip.

langranny Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 6

I grease (with shortening) and flour the pan and then put a piece of waxed paper cut to fit in the bottom and then grease and flour it too. My mother did that from the time I can remember (I'm 61) and it always worked and it works for me. Wax paper is getting harder to find though, had to go to three stores to find it (I bought several). I guess it's because parchment paper is about twice as expensive...

WendyB Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 6

I think you're asking about putting a collar around the top of the pan - parchment paper.

TheCakerator Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 6

yes, wendy that is what I was asking, thanks so much!

KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 6

you CAN use wax paper in a pinch, but if you've got parchment DEFINITELY use that over the wax paper, it's stiffer and will hold in your cake better. If you're filling past the pan and using the collar to hold the batter, you don't wanna use wax paper, it's too flimsy.
But if you're filling as normal and just allowing the collar to keep the cake rising straight and not overflow, then wax can work in a pinch

Quote by @%username% on %date%