Gifting A Cake

Decorating By cakefort Updated 13 May 2010 , 7:19pm by momg9

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:57am
post #1 of 7

Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong forum.

I am thinking about giving the wedding cake I am making for a friend as a gift. However, the cake has morphed in size and she also wants 100 cake balls. I've had to buy new pans and such to account for this change, not to mention other related expenses. Is there any way I can give her [/i]part of this as a wedding gift, or would that be tacky? I'm thinking only reimburse me for materials/expenses? The price I gave her was before the size increased and the cake balls were added. I know she's on a tight budget.

TIA

6 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:10am
post #2 of 7

well, you could tell her youd like to give your labor as a gift? explain how the costs have gotten out of hand, etc, how much you would usually charge for your labor and tell her youd like to give your labor as a gift?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 May 2010 , 11:58am
post #3 of 7

i think that's good.... no labor charges..... buying new pans is by no means cheap... they run pretty pricey and materials... we all know 10 here 15 there... and here is a tab for over 100 dollars....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 7

Dont' you just love friends who take advantage of something?

"I'll give you the cake as a free gift."
"Great! That means I can double the number of people since I wont' have to pay for a cake!"
icon_confused.gif

ANother option is to "remind" her that a free cake was offered to serve 100. Period. Anything above and beyond that must be paid for.

If I offer to buy someone a coke, that doesn't mean they can order a whole steak dinner on my tab!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 7

this is why when I offer this, I make a gift certificate and give it to them and it basically says they will get up to $500 (or whatever amount you choose) retail value of cake for FREE!

They're usually VERY grateful, realizing it's saving them $500!!! Then they stick within that $500 or they pay more!

Maybe let your friend know that you were gifting her a $300 cake or whatever......and now it's morphed into a $600 cake. When she realizes the "retail value" of the cake....not just the cost of ingredients....it will make her appreciate it all a lot more!

AND coming from something that has had to dip over 100 cake truffles for FREE! (bride had a gift certificate).........you'll have a MUCH better attitude if you're not in the HOLE for $300 at the end of this cake, because even though you love your friend I'm sure you didn't intend to stick $300 in an envelope at the wedding if you weren't making the cake right???????????

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 7

When I gift a wedding cake, I have the bride order what she wants, at a "discounted" price. I have her pay for the cake, so she knows what a cake costs. After everything is confirmed and no changes, I return the check. If it happens to be more than I am willing to give, I cash the check and write a check to cover my labor, which will be the gift.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 7

KHalstead, the gift certificate is a great idea. That way they know their limit and they also get to see how much they are being given. I think a lot of times they have no idea how much a cake should cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%