Need Help With A Topsy Turvy Kind Of Odd Request :s

Decorating By kclovesken Updated 13 May 2010 , 5:06pm by psurrette

kclovesken Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and I would appreciate your help icon_biggrin.gif

I am doing a 4 tier topsy turvy cake for a sweet 16...I am not scared of the topsy turvy part of the cake.... but of the cake and frosting she wants :S

She wants a basic boxed cake with canned BC frosting :S I am concerned that it wont hold as well as my BC.

I know its not the best etiquette to use the canned frosting but its NOT a paying costumer and I dont mind using it as long as it will hold up.

Thoughts suggestions? Thanks so much for reading and sorry if its a really silly question. This site is amazing and I am glad I found it icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
all4cake Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC kclovesken!

The boxed cake should work. I don't know about the frosting but I wouldn't think that that should give you too much problem either...depending on your decorations. If it's a matter of the icing possibly being too soft, couldn't you add a bit of powdered sugar to stiffen it a bit?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the box and the canned stuff.

(it's not a silly question)

hamie Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:45am
post #3 of 7

i think the canned frosting would not be stiff eough
could you use it to fill? then use your regular bc to frost

brincess_b Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:21am
post #4 of 7

i think the challenge would be in getting a really good finish with the canned stuff. if she is ok with home-style/ rustic icing, then i wouldnt worry, but if she wants the pristine finish, id be the boss and save your self the hassle, and tell her then it needs to be real bc. (and, since she is not a paying customer, id take the cheaper option - which im pretty sure is making the bc your self too)

joyfullysweet Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

Could you use a box mix extender to make the cake more firm? I like the durable cake for 3-D in the recipe section here. It adds sour cream and pudding to the mix. I recently used it for a topsy-turvy and it held up well. A 4-tier cake is a big, heavy cake without it being topsy-turvy. As far as the canned frosting, I'd try adding powdered sugar like all4cake said. I've heard of people adding it to canned frosting to use for piping. I've used it under fondant before, but it was only a small 1-tier cake. Good luck!

kclovesken Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys icon_biggrin.gif I appreciate the help I think I will add the powdered sugar to the frosting icon_biggrin.gif I will try the recipe also on a test cake and see if it something I can use icon_biggrin.gif

I appreciate it icon_smile.gif

psurrette Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 7

I use box mixes all the time for my topsy turvy cakes. but I would agree to add additional sugar to the canned icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%