Hand Paint A Design??

Decorating By pieceacake830 Updated 23 May 2010 , 3:16am by rcolson13

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 17

A bride called me tonight and asked me to had paint a design on a cake. I have never one this before, and I am at a loss as to where to start. Can anyone get me started in the right direction? What brushes do I use, what type of color ie: gel, paste, powder mixed with alcohol, liquid colors??? I'm really clueless here. any help or advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

16 replies
SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 17

Americolor Airbrush colors are truly the way to go. They are ready to paint with right out of the bottle. If you use gel colors then you have to thin those with either vodka or everclear. When I have used gel colors I have thinned with lemon extract because it has a high alcohol content and smells better than alcohol. I just bought a set of paint brushes that I use strictly for cake decorating, not sure if there are any that are specific to cake decorating. HTH

What type of design did she ask you to paint?

pieceacake830 Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 17

Well, the bridge is getting married at a winery, so her theme is grapes. She saw this one cake that she likes the look of so I want to try to do something similar.

http://www.carriescakes.com/blog/2010/03/13/handpainted-italian-theme-wedding-cake/

Its such a beautiful cake, but I'm not sure where to start! Im looking for any helpful hints, I have even asked another cake friend of mine for her suggestions too....

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Well, the bridge is getting married at a winery, so her theme is grapes. She saw this one cake that she likes the look of so I want to try to do something similar.

http://www.carriescakes.com/blog/2010/03/13/handpainted-italian-theme-wedding-cake/

Its such a beautiful cake, but I'm not sure where to start! Im looking for any helpful hints, I have even asked another cake friend of mine for her suggestions too....

While americolor airbrush right out of the bottle owrks really well, that picture looks like the colors are blended and shaded. I would "make my own paint" . Just mix the colors of your choice with some fairly thin royal icing to get paint consistency. You can create different colors that way too, mixing different food colorings together

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 17

Look in to one stroke painting. That will help give you an idea about the techique they used because that is what it reminds me of.

You can paint with gel colors (thinned with alcohol or extracts), air brush colors (one of my favorites), powders or dusts mixed with alcohol or extracts...

For brushes, I use soft artist brushes you find in the craft stores.

That's a very pretty cake. I would suggest rolling out some fondant and trying variations of the items above and see what gives you the best look. I'd almost be tempted to use powder colors (like crystal colors) and see if you can mix them with something like crisco to give you kind of a paint consistancy. Not sure it would work, but sounds good in theory.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 17

TexasSugar is right!!

check out the one stroke painting, that is exactly the technique used on that cake! You load 2 colors into your paintbrush at once and then paint, that cake is very simple if you break down each component

1. the 2 toned green scrolls
2. the spiraling grape vines
3. the additional little flowers
4. the little clumps of grapes

Here are some things I've done using the double loading technique and you can see how you get a main color and a shading color all in the same stroke (hence why they call it ONE STROKE) lol

Oh, and I use americolor gels right out of the bottle...it's almost exactly the consistency of the paint they use for one stroke painting
No need to thin it down.
LL
LL
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 17

I always wish I had taken the one stroke classes when Michaels offered them years ago. icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 17

I too would LOVE to learn this technique! KH, you do great work!! I have to paint tree trunks on fondant for a cake in June and am worried already. I'm with TexasSugar, practice, practice, practiceicon_smile.gif

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 13 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 17

KHalstead-- Beautiful handpainting!!!

KHalstead Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 17

thanks........I've NEVER taken a class and that blue cake was the first thing I'd EVER painted on! lol It's much easier than you'd think. The trick (I think) is not being shy about it, load up your brush and have at it!!

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 17

Man, I love this site . . . it's like being in church . . . I learn something new every week! icon_wink.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 17

One of Donna Dewberry's shows was once about painting on fondant. I don't know what brand she used, but she mixed gel colors with a white food color and then double loaded the brush.

KHalstead, your cakes are so beautiful and you make everything look so easy.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 17

Yes, the one stroke on fondant uses americolor straight from the bottle.

pieceacake830 Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:02pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks all for your reply! I cant wait to try this!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #16 of 17

KHalstead those hand painted goodies are awesome! I have just started trying hand painting and I love it. I feel like I can get more the look I want than with cutting things out of fondant. Can you explain in more detail how you use the one stroke technique? Thanks!

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:16am
post #17 of 17

This is such a pretty technique! I could see substituting it for brush embroidery and getting an even prettier effect. Can't wait to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%