Pricing Help Please!!!

Decorating By anastasien Updated 13 May 2010 , 12:23am by anastasien

anastasien Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if someone could help me, I was just asked to make a cake for a large party, they are expecting about 275 people and they would like a large slab cake and 150 cupcakes, but I have no idea what to charge for this, could someone please help me with what to charge for the cake and cupcakes

6 replies
leah_s Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 7

No one can figure out your prices but you. You're the only one who knows what your ingredients cost you, how much you want to make an hour, and what your gas/electric costs.

Do you have to be licensed to sell cakes in your area? That will also influence your pricing.

anastasien Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

all i am looking for is a ruff idea of what people charge for a simple large slab cake, and what people would charge usually per cupcake

rltmeng Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 7

Here is a link to a website in Barrie, not too far from you, it will give you an idea of what others in your area might charge. http://www.decadencebyjk.com/viewpage.cfm?PageID=7 You can also google bakeries in your area. But I do agree with Leah, there are a lot of factors to considers when determining pricing. HTH

cookiedecorator Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 7

She's absolutely right. Pricing is one thing that no one can tell you how to do. It differs from area to area, by how much your ingredients cost, etc. I personally charge $1.50 per cupcake. That's just iced with no filling. Filling costs more. If they want them individually wrapped that's another cost. Extra embelishments are an added cost on top of that. For a sheet cake, 12x18 single layer, I charge $55.00. That includes a message and basic roses for embelishment. Filling for a sheet cake that size is $10.00 extra. Extra embelishments are an extra charge. People in other areas of the country can get more or less than I do depending on where they live.

Someone once told me they do all these fancy calculations to factor in, ingredients, electricity, etc., and then they throw it all out and try to figure out what someone will actually pay for it. It's not an exact science and frustrates every baker at one point or another.

indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 7

Agree that you need to run your costs and expecations. If snarkybaker told you that she charged $6/serving and I told you that I charged $2.50/serving, that doesnt' really help you. You have to factor that snarky uses only the finest, imported ingredients and I don't, which is one factor in the difference in our pricing.

If koryAK told you her price was $6/serving and mine was $2.50/serving, that doesn't really help you. You have to factor that Kory pays WAY more for shipping to Alaska than I do to Indiana.

So CC'ers just telling you a price isn't going to solve your dilemna.

marianna, the response given WAS helpful. Most of us on here try to help our fellow CC'ers by getting them to understand their end of the business. We dont' want to just feed them a fish .... we want to teach them to fish so they can eat every day. thumbs_up.gif

Price setting is much MUCH more than just pulling a number out of the air.

anastasien Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 7

thank you everyone for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%