How Do I Use This Mold?

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 12 May 2010 , 10:32pm by Polkadot79

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 7

I need to use this mold on a wedding cake this weekend. Will I have to use a exacto knife and trim each up? I can't figure out any other method since the mold didn't come with cutters.

http://www.fondantsource.com/scroll-mold-first-impressions-molds.html
LL

6 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

u r right... using an exacto knife... or use a paring knife that u dip in hot water...wipe.. then cut... the hot water makes it so u don't end up with those frilly jagged egdes that at times we get when using the exacto knife... or u can dip the exacto knife, wipe and then cut... u get a sharp line... perfectly smooth

hth

Polkadot79 Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. I think I might better get started today! My first time using a mold and the image I had in mind of popping in and out has been popped. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 7

I don't have that particular mold, but if it's like other FI molds, you shouldn't need to use an Xacto knife. Just fill the cavities so there is no excess. Keep pressing your fondant or gumpaste until it fills the mold, then work away the excess.

If it's like other FI molds, you should just need to hold the mold upside down over your work surface and spread it apart to let the piece fall out. If that doesn't work, pop the filled mold into the freezer for a few minutes, then try spreading it apart again.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I don't have that particular mold, but if it's like other FI molds, you shouldn't need to use an Xacto knife. Just fill the cavities so there is no excess. Keep pressing your fondant or gumpaste until it fills the mold, then work away the excess.

If it's like other FI molds, you should just need to hold the mold upside down over your work surface and spread it apart to let the piece fall out. If that doesn't work, pop the filled mold into the freezer for a few minutes, then try spreading it apart again.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I agree. This is a First Impressions scroll mold.

You should be able to press fondant or gum paste into the cavity (I often dust the paste or the mold with a scant amount of cornstarch) and run your offset spatula across the top of the paste to take off excess (angle the spatula at a 45 degree angle, or less, to the top of the mold and scrape gently). That will take off most of the excess.

Then, finesse the paste so that all of the edges are contained in the mold.

Flip the mold over, get it started coming out, and then you can sort of peel the mold away, allowing the piece to fall onto the table.

You shouldn't have to trim ANY of your pieces.

If you have problems, popping the mold into the fridge for a minute should help with getting the pieces out faster.

HTH
Rae

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Then, finesse the paste so that all of the edges are contained in the mold.

A much more articulate description than my caveman grunts. icon_smile.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, great. That sounds much better. I plan to try it tomorrow, so I may need to check back in if it doesn't go successfully. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%