Lint On Silicone Roller

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 May 2010 , 4:10am by mbark

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 14

I'm having issues with my Sil-Pin rolling pin...I like to rinse it off before using it each time but then when I dry it with a fresh clean towel, I end up with microscopic pieces of lint all over it!

The Silicone rollers seem to create a bit of static and pull tiny bits of lint to it and stuff....it makes it VERY hard to roll out a perfectly bright white piece of fondant. Grr.

Any tips?

13 replies
cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 14

I don't use the silicone roller, but I have the same problem when I use Melvira's method to smooth buttercream...darn lint sticks to my foam rollers no matter what I do!!! Hope someone chimes in with some tips for you.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 14

It's a crazy maker! Having to "pick" each tiny piese of fuzz icon_cry.gif

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 14

I don't have a silicone roller, so I don't know...but would it help if you take a small ball of fondant and roll that along the actual roller so that all the lint will come off on the fondant?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 14

I used to have a lint roller that was just a silicone coated tube. Worked great, as you know! I had to wash the lint/hair off under running water, then let it air dry under a large bowl. If I just let it air dry out in the open, it would catch whatever lint was flying through the air.

Now that I think about it, I should probably cover my walls with the stuff!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:36am
post #6 of 14

I use a lint roller on my silicone rolling pin before using it, and while using it. It's the only way I've found to retain my sanity, lol.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:33am
post #7 of 14

I rub silicone stuff down with a little icing sugar and it rubs the lint right off.... it works excellent....icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:44am
post #8 of 14

I bought a Micro Fibre Window cleaning cloth -especially for this purpose, as that material *grabs* even the most microscopic particcal of lint.

After washing my RP - i rinse the RP in cold water - then just wipe it over with that cloth, then roll the RP up in it at the end of the day - keeps it lint and dust free.

Bluehue.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

I rub silicone stuff down with a little icing sugar and it rubs the lint right off.... it works excellent....icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I bought a Micro Fibre Window cleaning cloth -especially for this purpose, as that material *grabs* even the most microscopic particcal of lint.

After washing my RP - i rinse the RP in cold water - then just wipe it over with that cloth, then roll the RP up in it at the end of the day - keeps it lint and dust free.

Bluehue.

These are fabulous ideas!!! I'm going to try these!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 14

Great ideas thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 14

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm going to try rubbing down with a ball of fondant as well....and wrapping with the microfiber cloth too.

I get so SICK of seeing lint in fondant....I find it also happens with my hands...I'll wash my hands thoroughly, and then dry them...and evidently the towel is leaving lint because then if I start to work on modeling with light colored fondant, I find tiny little strands of stuff in the fondant. GRRR!!!!

Sometimes I hope people don't look too closely! The silicone mats attract stuff too, I'm sure...

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:23am
post #12 of 14

I find I have the same problem with my pvc pipe I roll with. It seems to have static issues which causes the particles to be drawn to it like a magnet! I tried rubbing a little crisco on mine the other night to help eliminate the static and that helped.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #13 of 14

I've never had lint problems with the sil-pin. I use mine to roll tortillas at least as often as I roll fondant with it, maybe that cuts down on the static.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #14 of 14

YES! I hate that w/my silicone mat. Little bits of hair & fuzz are attracted to it. I am also going to use these tips. Thanks for the ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%