Gum Paste Questions

Decorating By itchy Updated 19 May 2010 , 4:38pm by itchy

itchy Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make a cake and it involves making gum paste figures and decorations. It will be my first exprience with gum paste and so I would like to make sure I do it right. So here are my questions.

1. I am always short for time and like to prepare as much in advance as I can. How far in advance can I make the gum paste? Also, can I make my gum paste decorations in advance? What would be the best way to store them once they are made?

2. What is the best method for coloring gum paste. I assume I can color large batches with my colorings, but what about details? Can I paint it as I would fondant?

Your input is appreciated!

9 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 10

use it just like you would fondant, only know that it will dry harder. You make them very far in advance and just let them sit out to dry. Yes, you can also paint it liek you would fondant, again it will be more fragile. If you wanted you could use a 50/50 mix of GP and Fondant. It will dry firm but not be fragile.

itchy Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. So if I make my decorations a week in advance, they should be fine? Aslo, you mention that it is fragile. I have to transport the cake quite a way, should i be concerned about broken decorations? How would I do a 50/50 recipe? When I use fondant, I use the MMF. Would I simply use 1lb of MMF for 1lb. of Gum Paste? I was looking at some of the gum paste recipes on the site. I don't have access to any of the fancy ingredients, so I was going to try the one with the gelatin and glucose. Would that work?

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 10

if you can go to hobby lobby, sometimes walmart, or micheals, and get wilton gumpaste powder mix, you just add a little PS to it and it makes up BEAUTIFULLY!! soo much better than the stuff you buy. I havent been able to sucessfully make gumpaste until I got the powder mix.

and yes, just take the two and mix together. I dont ever get exact measurements. I just grab a handful of one and mix it with a handful of the other. LOL

I paint on mine all the time. and a week is NO problem. my kids ate a frog I had laying around for a month and faught over it.

any 'joints' or places you join the gumpaste should be glued with gumpaste glue. I just take a pinch or so of gumpaste, and put it in hot water. not much hot water, I keep it in a sealable bowl and add more water or gumpaste as needed. the gumpaste will eventually 'melt' and you have a great glue. I mean stick your fingers to your clothes glue if you aint careful. LOL if you wipe your hands on your pants you will have fibers stick to you. LOL

itchy Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the advice.

I can get the wilton Gum Paste powder, but how does it taste? I know their fondant is terrible! That's why I use the MMF. Thanks for the tip on the glue! I never would have thought about it!

dchockeyguy Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 10

Gernally speaking, people don't eat gumpaste I've found. I mean, you CAN, but it has pretty much no taste to it. So at least it isnt' BAD. One other thing to keep in mind is that gumpaste will dry faster than fondant does, so be sure to keep the unused parts covered.

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 10

kids really love my gumpaste/fondant mixed together. (50/50 mmf and wilton powder) it isnt as hard and is not as likely to break a tooth.

BUT, kids also like to eat the gumpaste, it puts me in mind of that stick that you get in a flavorade candy pack...?... where you dip the 'stick' in the koolaid??

It really isnt good, or at least adults dont think so. LOL

langranny Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 10

When I make GP figures, I sometimes add a small piece of uncooked spaghetti in the joints to help hold them together (arms, legs, etc.) I get the thick spaghetti and break it into about an inch or so long pieces. I dip the end into gum glue and stick it into the body and leave about 1/4" sticking out. Then I brush GG on and attach the arm/leg, etc. Makes it much sturdier than just gluing them on.

itchy Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

And yes, I do remember the candy sticks in those packets! I used to love those!

I will do some tests this weekend and let you know how it goes. I'm off to get my gum paste power....

itchy Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 10

Hi Everyone!

So I started woking with the gum paste/MMF combination and here is what i find. If I use more gum paste and less MMF, it dires too quickly while I am working with it, so the result is kind of wrinkly, instead of smooth. But if I use less gum paste then the results are more smooth, but don't dry as hard. I also tried the gum paste glue and I figures out that it only works once the pieces are dried. I tried it before the pieces were dry and they kind of fell apart. I am also seeing difficulty with the painitng. I waited until the pieces were dry but once I start painting it with a little watered down coloring gel, the pieces get wet and sticky. All in all, it hasn't been too bad. I just wish that it woudln't dry so quickly, because all my pieces look so rushed nd lack details because I am working so fast (before it dries out). I see so many beautiful creating on this site that were done using gum paste and they all look so perfect! I wonder how they do that when it dries so fast and gets wrinkly!

Thanks for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%