Stacking Different Shaped Cakes

Decorating By Mom_Of_4 Updated 13 May 2010 , 7:18pm by indydebi

Mom_Of_4 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 10

Alright all of you professional cake decorators. The largest cake I have stacked is a 10,8,and 6 inch round...but I have a friend that needs a cake to feed around 100 people. So I am going to need bigger layers and more of them. I was wanting to do some square and some round. The largest cake pan I have is the 12 in round, can I stack a 10 in square on top of that and will it even look good? I'm just not sure of what combination round and square will look good and if the method of stacking the cakes is different when the layers are bigger? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies
Debluvs2bake Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 10

Alternating various shapes makes for a gorgeous cake! Squares are tricky, you have to measure diagonally. A 10" square is 14" on the diagonal, and will overhang a 12" round. If you have the pans, stack them, see how they align.

leily Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 10

definitely take Debluvs advice and stack the pans to make sure they don't overhang the tier below. Or even cake boards, or make templates on paper and stack.

tonedna Posted 12 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 10

You can check that stacking the pans over each other too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mom_Of_4 Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 10

I need to feed 100 from this cake and the largest cake pan I have is the 12 in I'm thinking I would need to suggest that I do some sheet cakes to cover the remaining servings. Would that be tacky though? Thanks for all of your help ladies!

tiggy2 Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 10

Sheet cakes or kitchen cakes? Sheet cakes would be tacky but kitchen cakes would be fine.

leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #8 of 10

not sure what size pans you have, but could you do all round with 12-9-6? that will give you 101 serving the top tier.

Or 12" sq - 8" round - 6" round will give you 102 servings.

As for extra cakes, I would do kitchen cakes, not sheet cakes. (kitchen cakes are 4" tall and when cut look just like the tiered cake you did, sheet cakes are only 2" tall and definitely a noticeble difference when on plates with the wedding cake)

Mom_Of_4 Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for explaining what kitchen cakes are! It isn't for a wedding, it is a graduation cake, but I would definitely do the kitchen cakes instead of sheet cakes. Thanks for all of your help, I think I know what I am going to do now! Thank you so much to everyone for your help!

indydebi Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 10

If it's a grad cake, can you incorporate a couple of satellite cakes? For example, maybe have the 3-tier cake in the center and an 8" square (or round) on each side. If it were me, I'd split the date between the two satellites .... "20" on one and "10" on the other for the grad year of "2010". Or "Class of" on one and "2010" on the other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%