Would U Ice And Decorate A Wedding Cake You Didnt Make?

Business By YummyChoo Updated 17 May 2010 , 8:01pm by tesso

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 40

Would u ice and decorate a wedding cake you didnt make? would u do it? and if so wat would you charge? For a 3 tier cake?

39 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 40

I did once. When I worked for the grocery store bakery a lady came in and ask the manager if we had anyone that could decorate a wedding cake. We didn't do wedding cakes and no one in our area did either. She was going to bake the cake for her daughter's wedding but needed a decorator. She is a good customer of the store and we live in a very small town so of course the manager said that I could do it for her.

I got paid the same as if I was decorating for the store so I can't say what you should charge if you decide to do it. (This was also a 3 tiered cake)

BTW. When the lady came to pick up her cake she raved about how beautiful it looked and what a good job I did. She said that she was going to tell everyone that she did it icon_lol.gif I didn't really care but I thought to myself what is she going to do when people start asking her to decorate cakes for them?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 40

To sum it up briefly, HELL NO.

mamawrobin's example above is not the norm.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 40

Not a chance!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 40

I agree with Leah. Not the norm. The only reason I did it is because I worked for someone else and the manager (of the store, not the bakery) said we had to do it because it was a "good customer". Frankly, the bakery manager initially told the lady we would NOT do it. I had no choice because I worked for the store.

Why are you asking? I'm curious.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 40

normally I would say NO.....but at one point I actually did this with a wedding order for cupcakes. Mother of the Groom had a "secret recipe' that her DS loved and he wanted HER to make the cupcakes for his wedding. She baked them all up the week of the wedding and went to pipe an orange rose on each one and realized she COULDN'T pipe a rose.

She said.....I've seen roses on cakes my whole life and figured how hard could it be? lol

Anyhow, I charged her the same exact cost per cupcake that I would have charged had I baked them myself........I iced the tops and made roses w/ leaves for each of them.

I also made up a contract stating that she was the baker of the cupcakes and that I was in no way to be held responsible if someone were to become ill from them. I had it notarized but not sure if it would have held up in a court of law, but it made me feel better.

Everyone loved the cupcakes, her son thought SHE made them, as did everyone else and she's become one of my BEST customers!

YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 40

I know where your coming from the thing is its a friend who has come to me.. she has her uncle making the wedding cake and wants me just to ice it and deocrate it. But i am running a business and she doesnt seem to understand why its not a good idea for me to do it... I dont know what the cake tastes like.. i wont be setting it up so what if something gets damaged??
But i dont want to effect our friendship so I dont know wat to do!!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 40

i was asked if i could make buttercream roses for a wedding coming up in june and i said no.......they were going to make the cake and decorate it but didnt know how to make roses, let alone place them on the cake properly and pipe leaves..hell no i'm not doing it......they wanted me to bring them up 1.5 hour drive in the summer heat .........nope.......sorry cant do it

YummyChoo Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 40

its a three tier fruitcake, plus a cutting cake that needs to marzipanned, iced in ivory icing and decorated in white blossom flowers- i would have to give them the cake in seperate tiers and boxed, they couldnt take it already stacked... arghh!

timhenk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timhenk Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 40

Check with your health inspector. My guess is they would frown upon it, leaving you with a perfectly good and legitimate excuse not to do it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 40

And this is exactly why the best wedding advice is "HIRE PROFESSIONALS." Not relatives that only know how to do half the job.

I just say it's against health regulations for my to handle food made by someone else.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 40

I wouldn't do it. What will happen if the cake her uncle bakes doesn't stand up to being stacked? I think it would do more harm to the friendship if her wedding cake ends up on the floor (and YOU WILL be blamed if that happens!!!) than if you tell her you can't decorate it.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 40

No. Just say no. There is a lot more to making a beautiful cake than just decorating it.

I did this once, thinking it was a pretty good deal. On paper it was. But let's just say it ended in tears (mine). Would you want this cake in your portfolio?
LL

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 40

Oh...and not only that, but the venue might not allow her uncle's cake to be served. That excuse just got one of my brides out of a situation with her sister who was insisting that she be allowed to do the wedding cake.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #15 of 40

I did this once but it was a 2 tiered birthday cake. I iced and decorated it and my friend (the mother of the birthday girl) baked them. I decorated them in the farm themed, just like she wanted. I dropped the cake off for the party, my daughter and I were invited to stay, but did not stay to eat the cake. I got a few FB messages asking if I could do cakes for them for parties but not to do that recipe because it was not good. I just laughed to myself, cause as I was trying to decorate the cakes were falling apart. They looked bad.. But I think I did good, it was my first cake that i decorated with fondant. The picture is in my gallery, its the farmed themed one.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #16 of 40

Back when I really didn't know what I was doing, I had to bake and decorate a cake anyway so when my neighbor asked if I could decorate one for her, I told her I didn't have time to bake an extra one but if she baked it I would decorate it in the same style as mine. I figured I could save time on colors, etc.

Well, she brought the cake over and it was this horribly dense, dry thing. With a humongous mound - such a big one that I would have been removing half the cake if I had cut it off. And not only that, she had filled it with a pudding-type filling...to the edges of the cake! I was desperately trying to ice that thing and the top was slip-sliding all over the place with the filling oozing out the sides. I ended up impaling it with chopsticks to keep it in one place. It was awful!
Never again!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 40

No, I wouldn't and didn't when I was asked to.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 40

Not only NO but H-E-Double Hockey Sticks NO!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 40

To the OP who was asked to just make the roses for someone else to place on their cake. I do that all the time and make some good, easy side money at the same time. Either they buy it from me or order off the net for the same price. Do them while watching tv. No problems.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 15 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #20 of 40

I would if it was a friend or family member baking the cake.....or if someone wanted a specific cake that "Mom" makes.....sure. I had a client whos Uncle, lived back East and was a cake decorator. I baked all the cakes, he came with his icing and tools in hand and decorated the cake at my house. It was quite interesting watching another decorator work.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #21 of 40

I wouldn't!

Too many times I've heard of cake decorators who have agreed to do it, only to find the cake is really shallow, or so uneven that it can't really be saved... or raw in the middle... or dry as old shoe leather!

Do you really want YOUR name being associated with a cake like that?

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #22 of 40

NO!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 40

No way!

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #24 of 40

No.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #25 of 40

UMMMM NO! What happens if something is wrong with the cake, wasn't baked properly, handled properly, who knows what could have happened...and god forbid one person get sick, they will be coming after you, since you were the last person to "touch" and decorate it...Not worth the hassle or the money...just my opinion

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 40

it would depend on the circumstances. if whoever it was was a baker that loved to bake but hated to decorate i suppose i would. but no in most circumstances.

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:38pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

To the OP who was asked to just make the roses for someone else to place on their cake. I do that all the time and make some good, easy side money at the same time. Either they buy it from me or order off the net for the same price. Do them while watching tv. No problems.

Oh, I thought the OP was asked to ice and decorate a cake he/she didn't bake? If it's just SUPPLYING the decorations (roses, figurines, etc)...I would almost certainly do that! But I wouldn't TOUCH the cake!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Oh, I thought the OP was asked to ice and decorate a cake he/she didn't bake? If it's just SUPPLYING the decorations (roses, figurines, etc)...I would almost certainly do that! But I wouldn't TOUCH the cake!

Yes, but I think it's generally assumed that everything on the cake is from the same person. So if your roses look fabulous but the cake is dry as day old toast who gets the credit (or the blame)? If someone asks who made the cake is the response going to be "well so and so baked the cake but the roses were made by x)"? Probably not.

I know there are exceptions to every rule, but generally either I do the whole thing or not at all.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #29 of 40

No way. You don't know how the cake was made, what went into it, if the cat licked the bowl, if the baker licked the bow, if clean utensils were used, if it's dry as dust, if the eggs smelled funny but the baker didn't have any more so he/she used the smelly ones. See the pattern here???

Remember, when someone asks who "did" the cake your name will undoubtedly come up. Do you want to take a chance on letting your good name be sullied by a disgusting tasting or possibly inedible cake??? I wouldn't.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

No way. You don't know how the cake was made, what went into it, if the cat licked the bowl,

This reminds of a few years ago when we had cats. I had just finished a tres leche cake and left the kitchen to change. I was only gone a few minutes and when I came back there was a perfect nose print in the frosting and 2 cats in the living room like they hadn't done anything wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%