Cutting Shapes Out Of Fondant

Decorating By wtreadway Updated 13 May 2010 , 1:15pm by confectionsofahousewife

wtreadway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtreadway Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 9

I have been trying to NEATLY cut shapes out of fondant with an exacto knife and I just can't do it icon_mad.gif The fondant always sticks to the knife!! Any suggestions or tips on getting a cleaner cut?

8 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 9

I think the fondant has to be rolled thin. Let it rest for a few minutes like 10-20 mins so that the fondant dries a little and you'll get a cleaner cut.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 9

Sometimes if I have sticking issues, I put a little Crisco on my blade. Just a teeny bit. I just wipe it on a paper towel that has Crisco on it. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

I think the fondant has to be rolled thin. Let it rest for a few minutes like 10-20 mins so that the fondant dries a little and you'll get a cleaner cut.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 9

I was having the same issue and I like the other poster found that letting the fondant dry for few minutes helped alot. I also started dipping my exacto knife in cornstarch before each cut and that helped alot too. I'm going to try using the crisco next time as suggested here also and see which works best. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9

Likewise, I might try the resting and cornstarch next time, too!

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 9

Make sure you keep your knife REALLY clean, too. I keep a bowl of water and paper towels near me. And I'm constantly cleaning my knife. I'm sure that letting the fondant rest would solve that need for me...but I'm impatient. icon_smile.gif

wtreadway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wtreadway Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you to everyone for the great tips. I will be putting them to use this weekend when I cut out 48 peace sign stencils for cupcakes!! Thanks again for all your help. icon_biggrin.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 9

Also make sure your blade is nice and sharp, get a new one if you have to. I made the mistake of using one that had been used to cut paper and it had gotten just dull enough that I basically just drug it through the fondant and it didn't cut real well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%