Your Decorations Inhibit Cake Cutting. Do You Care?

Decorating By artscallion Updated 12 May 2010 , 6:19pm by artscallion

artscallion Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 18

This question occurs to me every so often when I do a particularly elaborate cake. Do you take the cake cutting into consideration when designing your cake?

A cake I'm currently working on was designed to match an invitation. The invitation featured double rows of flowers. Each row was offset from the one above/below it, and rather close together. They wanted a close representation of the invitation on the cake. So see the pic below to see the layout of the flowers that will run horizontally around the sides of the cakes.

These are pretty solid gumpaste decorations and there is no way anyone is cutting through them. And, the way the will be placed leaves no room to cut in a straight line down between them either.

Now normally, I tell folks if a decoration is in the way, just pop it off with your knife and just place it o the cut slice. But it occurs to me that this cake will be a nightmare to cut. Every slice will be an issue.

I'm not asking for ideas on redesigning this cake. It is what it is and it's what they want. What I'm asking is if you consider this issue when designing a cake. Or do you just plunge ahead with a design that works for you and let the customer/venue worry about the cutting?

17 replies
crisseyann Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 18

Just have to tell you...those flowers are gorgeous!

Donnagardner Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 18

I have often wondered this same thing. I can't seem to not worry about this. I want my cakes to look good but also want them to be easy to deal with for the customer. Maybe the answers you get will help me get over that!!!

jadedlogic Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 18

When I made my Easter cake with the all the daisies I was thinking the same thing as I was pulling all 55+ of them off. I would be interested in hearing what others say as well.
As I was pulling them all off I was just thinking of how ugly the cake looks once it is all taken apart but prior to taking it apart it had the desired effect I went for - everyone loved it and I was happy with it so I guess that's all that matters.
Granted - It was me pulling them off and not a customer/caterer etc so I can't *really* answer your question.

BTW - I love your flowers icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 18

I take it into consideration, but if there is no way around it then I just let the customer know........the best asthetic appearance will be THIS, and if you choose THIS, you will have to remove all of the flowers before cutting. 9 times out of 10 they say......OK>......we'll take em' off, we just want it to match perfectly!

I've never had anyone complain.

dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 18

I personally go by what I sketch for them and if I know there will be a problem when cutting I just advised them to remove before cutting... I know most venue have trianed people to do the cutting and they remove the hard decorations before serving....

awesome flowers!

leah_s Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 18

Nope. Don't consider the easy of cutting at all.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 18

I don't think people really care. I think it just hurts us a little more ripping off all our hard work. But nobody else will mind icon_lol.gif

artscallion Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm just a little more aware than usual with this cake because I'll also be a guest at the wedding.

jammjenks Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 18

I don't consider it either. When they cut it, most likely the flowers will fall off when the knife passes anyway. I'd just cut it as if the flowers weren't there and pick them up off the table later.

Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 18

Sometimes with 3D cakes the customer will say "How do I cut this?" and I jokingly say "Well I made it, cutting is your problem" haha but I do try to give them suggestions.

The customer tells me what to make, and I make it...they get to figure out how to cut it. haha.

atwistedlime Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 18

As a customer I care more about the look of the cake then how I am gonna cut it. If I cut it horribly... who cares its cake... people will eat it but I want it to be memorable as seen. icon_biggrin.gif

As a designer (when I make my own) I am the same... I don't really worry about how it will be cut I worry about the look on the person's face when they see the coolest cake that I made just for them. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess if I was making them to sell I would be more conscious but that's a long way off.

Leslie

tracycakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 18

No, not really. They may ask how to cut it or I"ll tell them that this or that needs to be removed before cutting but it doesn't affect my design.

indydebi Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 18

No, I don't. When it's time to cut the cake, pop off anything that's in your way. By the time the cake is cut, the photos are done and everyone has walked away....... no one expects the cake to remain "pretty" during the cake cutting.

I always cut my cakes right there in the reception room, but a lot of cakes are whisked away to what I call "the secret cutting room", so no one sees what it looks like when it's being cut anyway.

chellescountrycakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 18

Idont worry about how mine look when cut. mostly because my husband will come in and literly cut the center out. thats the only peice he wants. (he doesnt like alot of icing he says although, I have seen him eat it strait from the bowl) and I trim the edges... I think he just likes to be a brat. he does the same with watermelon. LOL

But honestly, no. cutting it is their problem icon_wink.gif

jayne1873 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 18

I would agree cutting is there problem having said that I very rarely use gumpaste just fondant mixed with a little cmc for figures etc and that can be eaten anyway.

Have to say though your flowers are gorgeous

tonedna Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:07pm
post #17 of 18

All people want is a pretty cake for their event and photos. After that, they dont expect
perfection, they just want a good tasting cake.

Personally I dont eat decorations..to me makes no difference.
Edna icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks again for the responses. I don't normally even think about it. But the issue really stuck out to me with this cake. Good to hear others others don't consider it either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%