Need Help - Figure Modeling Of People

Decorating By allthehobbies Updated 12 May 2010 , 12:27pm by noahsmummy

allthehobbies Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 3

My brother is graduating from high school next month, and he's having a joint grad party with four other boys. All five of them are very active in the theater program both at the high school and in other productions in our area, and that's the thing that ties them together, so I'd like to make the cake reflect that connection. I have a great idea that would involve all of their favorite characters' costumes, but I also want to put the five of them on the cake.

My problem is, I am finding tutorials everywhere online for figure modeling, but a very limited amount of "people", and the ones I have found or more like little dolls, very basic. Anyone have any good resources for this? I did buy a figure modeling in polymer clay book, but it's almost too detailed. I am not a sculptor, so I'm not going to be able to make an actual sculpture of each person, I just want to be able to make 5 little people who look like these five guys. TIA, any help is appreciated!

2 replies
eaturcake Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 3

hi

i hope this will help you:

http://thesugarlane.com/2008/11/17/how-to-make-a-fondantgumpaste-face-for-your-figurine/

as for making the 5 figures look like the 5 guys the easiest way is to work on the hair color, glasses or details like that, if you're not too good in sculptures it's the best way, you could even put their initials on their t shirts so they can recognise themselves
hope that's helped you
good luck!

noahsmummy Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 3

best adivice i can give you is just experiment. ive tried a few things and methods of making people, and found the best one for me is to start at the legs and work my way up. sculpting each body part seperatly and sticking it on.. if that makes sense? my "dolls" are still farrrr from perfect, but are definantley improving.

practice practise practice! and find what works best for you! good luck! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%