Adding To Mixture To Make Cake Slightly Bigger

Baking By susieq190 Updated 13 May 2010 , 1:50am by leily

susieq190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq190 Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:43am
post #1 of 7

I have a wonderful chocolate cake recipie but it doesn't make quite enough mixture to make my cake the height I want it. I would like it to be about 2 -3 cm higher. could I ajust the mixture to make more.

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:07am
post #2 of 7

it depends on the recipe, but yes, you could just double it for example.
xx

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #3 of 7

Be sure to adjust all components not just one...

You can double the recipe.
Doubling the recipe is always good & with the extra make cupcakes for the kids :0) I do this & freeze the cupcakes for the kids lunches :0)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 7

Doubling a recipe does not always work. I would try it for a home cake before I made it for a client.

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

I use this article for adjusting cake quantities.
http://www.deliaonline.com/community/yourrecipes/baking/Scaling-cake-ingredients.html
Doesn't help with cooking times obviously but quantities work out pretty well.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 7

Search the recipes here for Cake Extender. Here's the one I use-it increases your batter volume by about 2 cups-you can cut it in half if you don't need that much
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water

Add the dry to your dry ingredients or your dry cake mix - add the oil and water with your other wet ingredients. If you are making a chocolate cake you can take 2-3 T of the flour out and replace it with 2-3 T cocoa powder.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 7

I am assuming your recipe is a scratch recipe. If it is, the extender recipe may not work. Scratch recipes are a chemical reaction between everything.

You may be able to half your recipe instead of doubling it, but definitely do a test run first, as not all scratch recipes will work the same if they are halved or doubled.

If you're using a mix to start with then I would try one of the extender recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%