Coloring Royal Icing Question

Decorating By NurseStacy Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:52pm by NurseStacy

NurseStacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseStacy Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

Hello! I am making royal icing using the Wilton recipe and I need a deep red color. I have on hand Wilton Christimas red and No Taste Red. I used the no taste red and it wouldn't get any darker than a dark pink. I tried to add a little black... and it turned mauve. Any suggestions?? I'm in desperate need!! Thanks in advance!

Stacy

6 replies
NurseStacy Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 7

anyone? icon_sad.gif

eaturcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eaturcake Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 7

have you tried paste colors or even powder colors, don't use colors that are too liquid because they're not concentrated enough and your royal will go pink, i would have done the same as you and added some black to get a more intense color. if i was you i'd make another batch of royal and maybe change the color brand your using, i use sugarflare or squires for intense colors or powders are good too, the most important is to only use a small amoumt of color in your royal so it doesn't change consistancy
hope that's helped you
good luck!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 7

to make a nice red you should have made a bright pink first then added your red in.....

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 7

I start by coloring my RI pink and then add Americolor Super Red. I do not add as much as I think I will need, but instead let it sit covered for a day or two for the color to deepen (that part is key). That always works for me and I get a great, deep red. icon_smile.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 7

I start out with a dark pink, let it sit awhile(overnight is best) and then use he no taste red. The color will deepen overnight. You still will have to use alot of red.

Americolor super red is also a great one to use.

NurseStacy Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks a lot!! I will try your tips. My only problem is I need it for tomorrow night... so we shall see! Again, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%