Bake Sale For Charity - What And How Much?

Lounge By imartsy Updated 12 May 2010 , 4:32am by jennywenny

imartsy Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 3

So I just joined Team in Training, which raises money for patients with Leukemia and Lymphoma while helping people train to run marathons and /or triathalons, etc. I'm going to try to run a marathon for the first time ever!

I'm really excited. The main reason for all of this is fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. I would love to do a bake sale at work (during break times), but I'm not sure exactly what to make or how much to charge for it. Of course, I would need to cover my own costs and make a profit to donate towards the amount I need to raise for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to be able to participate in the marathon (around $4000).

I'll be looking at other ways of soliciting donations as well, but I like when you can give money to a charity and also receive something (like a piece of cake!), and I thought this would be a good way to solicit my co-workers.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any tips?

2 replies
springlakecake Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 3

no, I havent! Good luck to you! My only advice is to make sure people know that you need to raise this money (and maybe how much) in order to participate. They might be willing to pay more for items than a typical bake sale.

jennywenny Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #3 of 3

Good luck! I've done 8 cycling events with team in training, and fundraising was a bit of a struggle. If you do really good work and your co-workers are really generous then you could raise a lot of money. They may get fatigued pretty quickly though!

Get the team in training banners from your co-ordinator/mentor and make sure to show that it is for charity, and why you're doing it, and what a fantastic cause, where the money goes, etc.

Maybe use a 'suggested donation' instead so that people might add extra?

I find that one of the best ways to raise money is to have a raffle, that way people think they might win something. Talk to your favourite restaurants, stores, hairdresser etc and get gift vouchers. Also, you might find that some stores will donate a gift card for ingredients for a bake sale if you go that route...

Good luck and GO TEAM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%