Ohio Bakers

Business By onlymadaresane Updated 18 May 2010 , 4:44pm by careylynn

onlymadaresane Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 26

So we're moving! Wahoo!! It's legal to bake out of a home kitchen in Ohio! I've been giving away so many cakes and such it'll be nice!

Anywho. I was reading the website- and it's $10 to get licensed icon_biggrin.gif and you have to have your kitchen inspected (no carpet in kitchen or pets).

But I couldn't find what was looked for in the inspection?

Like what the guidelines were etc...

By the way we're moving to Cleveland in Cuyahoga County (as far as I know!)

I'm so excited!!

Tips where to look for information or those who've gone through the process?

OHHH and if there are any localish cake shops!?! Like for supplies!!


25 replies
Loucinda Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 26

Congratulations on your move! I am licensed here in Ohio. They will look for a thermometer in your refrigerator, a sample of what your labeling looks like, is your home clean, no pets, and no carpet in the kitchen. The inspector will set and talk with you to make sure you understand what is required of you, they are very nice and very informative. If you have any questions, just ask them. My inspector was great.

Occther Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 26

Check out the Ohio Department of Agriculture for more information and a delineation between a cottage industry and home bakery. Also, make sure to talk with the local health department. Inspectors can vary - even within the same health department.


Cinderina Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 26

I'm in Twinsburg, Summit County. Will you be in the city limits of Cleveland or a suburb? Here are some supply shops:

Sweet Surprises Richmond Hts 216-291-9166
Northfield Cake & Candy Northfield 330-467-8728
Nadine's Cake & Candy Maple Hts 216-663-5778
Cakes by Nadine Broadview Hts 440-526-3386
JoAnn's Cakes & Candy Streetsboro 330-422-0905
Grandma's Cupboard Akron 330-784-1712

kristieanna Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:03am
post #5 of 26

I am in Cuyahoga County! icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 26

KHalstead is in Cleveland, I'm pretty sure, so you could probably pm her. (I was born and bred in OH -- you'll love it there!)

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #7 of 26

You are not inspected by the local health department, it is the state dept. of agriculture that does the inspection for the licesned home bakery in Ohio.

Cottage industry - you don't have to be inspected at all. Just read the requirements.

cakesbycathy Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 26

A little farther is Penny's Sweet Supplies in Brunswick.

Also found out today that Nadine's does not take a credit card. Cash or check only icon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif

Cinderina Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:42am
post #9 of 26

Cakesbycathy- It was my understanding that was for the Maple Hts location only? Or are both locations set-up that way now?

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 26

I'm in Ashtabula county about 50 minutes northeast of Cleveland, I operate under cottage foods, no license required or inspection. Although I did call for an inspection just to say I had one, but they basically said it would cost them more to drive to my place than the inspection costs ($10) and why bother? So I never did! Just have to label everything properly.

Cinderina Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 26

KHalstead... What kind of labeling is needed? I'm assuming ingredients. And where do you put it? On the cake box, board, etc? I don't have a business, yet. Others have been pushing me to, but I still have one in preschool. Maybe when he starts Kindergarten I can think about it. Thanks.

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 26

I put it on the box of everything going out.

It needs to be in 12pt. font and needs to say

"This product is home produced" and then have ingredients listed underneath in order of weight (meaning whichever ingredient you have the most of, that goes first and then so on down the line)

If you use a boxed cake mix you have to list the ingredients as they appear on the box, in addition to anything you add to it.

finally you need to put the weight of the item.

Here is an example of my labels, you can see the little wieght lines at the bottom....I just throw the cake (gently lol) onto a scale when it's boxed and then write in the weight!

I made these on avery.com using avery address labels

Cinderina Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks. Ok, this is probably a stupid question but if you are using fondant and/or gum paste to decorate, do you include those ingredients as well or just the ingredients for the cake itself?

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 26

I have a separate label with the ingredients for each of my fillings and also for fondant and gumpaste.......so when those items are on the cake, I just slap on the corresponding label.

I do the same thing with my cookies!

onlymadaresane Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #15 of 26

You girls are super helpful!

I so can't wait to visit those new cake shops!

I'll be sure to check the details when we actually get to a place...going up in July to find our new digs!

careylynn Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 26

Hi onlymadersane, I live in Lake County which is right next to Cuyahoga. Cleveland is a mere 25 mins from me. Here's two more cake shoppes,
Sweet Beginnings, Willoughby
Marlenes Bakers Supply, Willowick
Do you know what city you are looking in to buy?

PiccoloChellie Posted 12 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 26

Jan's Confectionery Supplies in Parma Heights

Super nice people there and all sorts of useful supplies. They have an entire wall of cutters! icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 26

One additional thing...if you get the home bakery license, you take the "home baked" part of the label off.

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #19 of 26

yes, AND you can sell stuff that needs refrigerating right?

Loucinda Posted 12 May 2010 , 11:26pm
post #20 of 26

Yes, you can then sell refrigerated products also. (which you cannot do under the cottage industry laws)

I still don't sell much of the refrigerated things, the only real reason I got licensed is because of a competitor using that so much as a selling point. It evened the playing field.

cookiedecorator Posted 13 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #21 of 26

This was also very helpful to me, I'm in the Columbus area and thinking of starting up a home business. Thanks for sharing...Ohioans are the best!!!!! You ARE going to love it here!!

onlymadaresane Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #22 of 26

The more I read this thread the more excited I get!

At the moment we're looking at a cute place in Solon and 2-3 places in Akron. Anyone heard good/bad things about them??

My husband will be working downtown Cleveland...we're hoping for less than an hour from there (as far as commuting goes).

I'm so gonna sneak away to a cake store when I go up to look for a new place. ATM we're renting so we can get an idea on good neighborhoods and such (and drive time into the city, and cake stores nearby LOL) and because we will still own the house here in MO.

cai0311 Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 26

My husband worked in Solon for about 2 years. It is a nice area and much closer to Cleveland than Akron but also more expensive to live in.

Akron can be hit or miss as far as neighborhoods. The area went down hill for a long time, but is recently trying to spruce things up again and is pouring a lot of money into the area. There are several new metro parks and trails being built and the zoo has had a complete over haul.

I live in Kent, Ohio about 45-60 from Cleveland depending on where in Cleveland you are going. It is great except for the property taxes icon_cry.gif

debster Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #24 of 26

I'm 20 min west of Cleveland in Amherst near Lorain. Not licensed here working under the cottage law. Like they said get information from the places they listed and you'll do fine. The area your moving should do good. All the plants by where I live have gone under and it's ruff selling here.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #25 of 26

I'll put my 2 cents in for the Highland Heights/Mayfield Heights area, just 20 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.

We moved here from CT and built a home about 18 yrs. ago.

We adore where we live. The school system is excellent. We're less than 5 minutes for I-90 or I-271. Our taxes are low. You can find nice homes with nice yards ranging from $149,000 up to $1,000,000--all within the top notch school district.

We travel into downtown all of the time. During rush hour, it takes about 35 mins. At off times, 20-25 mins. If you don't want to drive, you can be at the Green Road RTA station in 15mins. for a pleasant ride downtown to Tower City.

Shopping is excellent with Sweet Surpises Cake & Candy supply 3 minutes away and Marlene's 10 minutes away. Michael's is also 10 minutes away, across from WalMart.

We're close enough to take advantage of everything downtown has to offer without ANY of the hassle. We go to Indians, Browns, & Cavs games, IMAX movies at the Science Center, the concert & fireworks at Public Square, Lake Erie, and Playhouse Square for Broadway productions, concerts, comedians, etc.

Prior to coming here, we lived in CT for 7 years, Baltimore, MD for 7 years, and I grew up outside Philadelphia. I WOULDN'T WANT TO LIVE ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Prior to choosing Highland Heights, we looked seriously in Solon, Orange, and Chagrin Falls. Based on taxes, school system for those taxes, and ease of access to downtown, we chose HH and we've never once regretted it.

Welcome to OH--you are now a Buckeye!

careylynn Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #26 of 26

I'd stay away from Akron. I know no place is perfect, and I'm sure there are good areas within the city limits, but I would def choose Solon over Akron. BlakesCakes is right, Mayfield, Highland Heights, etc is a nice area. Willoughby and Mentor are good choices as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%