Question About Dark Fondant

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 11 May 2010 , 6:57pm by mamawrobin

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone,

I don't work with fondant much simply because I am not very good with it as I just don't know enough about it icon_sad.gif

I have a question about rolling out dark colored fondant and how to avoid the white powdered sugar staying on the fondant.

When I rolled out my chocolate fondant, I used some shortening on the table so it wouln't stick and then I used some powder sugar as well but I couldn't get all of the white to brush off of the fondant - how do you avoid this icon_confused.gif

2 replies
juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 3

I am a beginner, but used peacock blue/Royal blue fondant once. I used cornstarch to roll it and after covering the cake I just brushed off the excess cornstarch and then massage the whole thing with a little shortnening in hand. That didn't only take care of the cornstarch also gave it a nice shine. HTH.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 3

You can use a clean, dry pastry brush or a paper towel lightly coated with shortening to remove excess p.s. or c.s. I use a steamer. I bought a small clothes steamer for $15.00 at Wal-Mart and I use it to remove traces of cornstarch left on my fondant. It also gives a nice sheen to my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%