Coloring Buttercream!!! :(

Baking By Chelles16 Updated 11 May 2010 , 7:01pm by Chelles16

Chelles16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelles16 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 10

I need help with coloring my buttercream! When coloring my buttercream it doesnt seem to completely combine to make one solid color, some of the white is still coming through. Is it that the buttercream is not firm enough? Or to warm? I am not really sure what it is but if anyone has any suggestions I would be ever so grateful!!!

9 replies
bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 10

I'm definitely not a pro, but I'll try to help. Make sure your buttercream is thoroughly mixed to begin with. If you use salt, make sure you dissolve it in a liquid completely before adding it. Also, you can try mixing your color, then letting it set for a bit, then stir again. HTHicon_smile.gif

I'm sure you'll get much better advice from the pros here icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 10

Are you trying to make dark colors?

Chelles16 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 10

It is normally with the darker colors that I notice it most but I notice it with all the colors I do. Could it also be the coloring paste is old?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 10

With the darker colors I think that it is the amount of coloring you have to add to get the colors, I think it thins the icing down too much. I have it happen with the darker ones and it doesn't really happen until you bag them. My fix for it, that has worked well for me, is adding cornstarch to the icing. I don't measure, but it is probably a teaspoon per cup of icing.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 10

I've started mixing my color in before adding the powdered sugar(making the color a little darker than desired). So, only the butter&/shortening, flavoring, & liquid is in the bowl when color is added. This has helped a lot, but my bc is still not perfectly consistent in color.
I use sugarshack's bc recipe, so the bc is up to the rim. It's very difficult to get a consistent color all the way to the bottom if I add the color @ the end. Hoping someone has some even better advice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 10

I can't say that I've ever noticed this problem when mixing color. My recipe uses milk (not water) and many have indicated the milk may be a factor in getting color to blend well.

I use a combination of colors ... wilon, cakecraft, americolor.

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 10

I warm my heavy whipping cream and then dissolve popcorn salt in that before adding it to my mix. I haven't had any trouble with my colors since doing this. Good luck

Anne8389 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne8389 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 10

I have never had this problem....

Always make sure your buttercream is mixed to its proper consistancy(there should be no lumps at all), once you add the color just keep blending until it reaches a solid, depending on the color your making it may take longer then others. To make things easier you can also use your hand mixer to speed things up.

I use the Class Buttercream recipe from Wilton and it has always worked perfectly fine for me....

Chelles16 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone, these comments were very helpful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%