White Chocolate Ganache

Baking By pugmama1 Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:36am by pugmama1

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 15

I am used to making chocolate ganache and just love it. I have never used white chocolate though and am wondering if it is just as yummy and pourable and wonderful. If so, what brands, recipe, etc., do you use?

14 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 15

it is........I've made it with "Baker's" brand white choc. in the grocery store.....you need to use a different ratio of chocolate to cream though

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 15

Yes I agree on using the Baker's White Chocolate for ganache. I use 12 ounces white chocolate to 1/2 cup heavy cream for w.c. ganache.

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 15

I use this recipe but use Bakers white chocolate, it turns out very good, especially if your making a filling...yummy...I have a hard time not eating all of it lol
I used 12oz of white chocolate and 3/4c cream

- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)

1. Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.
2. Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward. For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy.

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 15

oh I omitted the rum and add vanilla instead!

Hope that helps!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 15

I've made it a few times using the 12oz. bag of Nestle white morsels + 1/2 cup of heavy cream...very tasty, firmed up nicely, and was easy to smooth w/ a hot spatula.

mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I've made it a few times using the 12oz. bag of Nestle white morsels + 1/2 cup of heavy cream...very tasty, firmed up nicely, and was easy to smooth w/ a hot spatula.

I agree FlourPots on the 1/2 cup of cream to 12 oz. of chocolate. I think 3/4 cup of cream is too much for 12 oz. of chocolate.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:12am
post #8 of 15

I like both Baker's and Ghirardelli. I think all natural white chocolate like those taste the best. Some other white chocolates have hydrogenated oils and other stuff in them that alters the taste imho.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #9 of 15

Yes, be sure what you are purchasing is actual white chocolate. I bought white choc. chips from Nestle because...well, Nestle means chocolate to me, right?? Only, after I got home I realized they were called "white chips" or something like that because there was NO cocoa butter in them: it was faux white chocolate. Yuk! I had a heck of a time tracking down real white choc. chips once I started reading the ingredients lists. You want them to be made of cocoa butter, not oils!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #10 of 15

Yep, Baker's is pretty much the only option around here for real white chocolate. I used 3 cups chopped white choc to 1 cup cream and it turned out nice.

mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Yes, be sure what you are purchasing is actual white chocolate. I bought white choc. chips from Nestle because...well, Nestle means chocolate to me, right?? Only, after I got home I realized they were called "white chips" or something like that because there was NO cocoa butter in them: it was faux white chocolate. Yuk! I had a heck of a time tracking down real white choc. chips once I started reading the ingredients lists. You want them to be made of cocoa butter, not oils!

Exactly. That's why I use Baker's white chocolate. It's really good and my Wal-Mart has an 6 ounce package for $1.90. thumbs_up.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #12 of 15

wow I never even bothered checking the bakers...I just assumed they would be a faux white...I bought the tiny Ghiradelli bar for $$$ and b/c u have to use so much more choc to cream ratio I hardly had enough to coat my tiny cake!

mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:07am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

wow I never even bothered checking the bakers...I just assumed they would be a faux white...I bought the tiny Ghiradelli bar for $$$ and b/c u have to use so much more choc to cream ratio I hardly had enough to coat my tiny cake!

Actually the baker's is a really good white chocolate. Good for me because I can't afford the good stuff. icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:09am
post #14 of 15

can't wait to try it! And I love ur suggestion about WalMart..never thought to buy it there...I wonder if Costco has it............

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:36am
post #15 of 15

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I will hunt down the Baker's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%