What Would You Charge?

Decorating By ktbug Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:06pm by mamawrobin

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I am making a 3 tiered graduation cake and I have no idea what to charge. All suggestions would be appreciated. It is going to be a 3 tierd marble cake wiith buttercream icing (10,8,6 rounds). The bottom tier is going to be camo, the middle tier is going to have bright colored fondant stripes and the top layer is going to be a graduation hat.

Just wanting some pricing ideas...Thanks!

4 replies
donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

It depends on what your local bakeries are charging. I start at $4 per serving for bc with fondant accents, and $6 per serving for fondant.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 5

Only you know how much it cost you to make the cake. How much is spent for the ingredients. The power to prepare the cake/icing. And of course how much time you'll spend making the cake all need to be factored in to find the price you should charge. I'll also give you fair warning icon_lol.gif you are probably going to see alot of post asking if you're "legal". I don't know anything about Tennessee laws so I'm assuming that you already have a license to sell since you're selling this cake.

Anyway (sighs) You also need to consider the "going rate" for custom cakes in your area. Find out what other bakers in your area charge thumbs_up.gif .

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 5

I will answer your question AND ONLY your question....

You should see what the serving rate is in your area.... and go based on that.... if you want to market yourself as a more exclusive... high end... cake artist... I would go slightly higher than the going rate in your area.... if you want market yourself as a more affordable cake artist...then go just below the going rate....

keep in mind how much u spend on materials/ingredients.... and specially the time you put into it.... we tend to not put too much value on how much time we spend on making a cake but your art is worth $$$

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 5

Just want to add that when you're figuring your cost don't forget to include the cost of cakeboards, the material you choose to cover your board, ribbon (if used) dowels/supports etc. and some even factor in the time it took for shopping to purchase the ingredients. thumbs_up.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%