Advice - First Time Making Wedding Cookies

Baking By 2winboyz Updated 23 May 2010 , 5:40pm by all4cake

2winboyz Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to make cookies for a friend's wedding. I have attached a picture of what she asked for below. I plan on using the NFSC recipe and Antonia's icing to decorate. I will color the icing red and fill in the square background, let it dry. Then go back with the red (maybe yellow/gold icing instead) and do the Chinese character. Once that dries, go over the character with gold lustre dust mixed with vodka. Two cookies will be placed in a clear bag tied closed with a red ribbon, so the icing should be hard enough to stack.

This is my plan icon_smile.gif Haven't tried yet but hope that some more experienced cookie decorators might chime in and let me know if this will work or provide better ideas.

Thank you so much.

12 replies
TracyLH Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:53am
post #2 of 13

Your plan sounds right on target. I did some 50th anniv. cookies, piping the "50" with gold RI and then going over with the gold lustre dust. They bagged just fine. You are doing exactly what I would do. As I recall, I used Americolor Gold for my piped RI letters.

KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 13

your plan is perfect..........however, I would allow at least 24 hrs. for the background to set up before piping on the gold lettering (so you won't get any of the red bleeding into the letters) and then allow another 24 hrs. after doing the letters before you bag them! Would hate for your letters to smudge and break right off if you bag them too soon!

I'm sure they'll be gorgeous! I would be so tempted to do a gold border around the edges too to dress them up even further, they're beautiful cookies.

luv2bake6 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

I was going to say the same thing! Piping a border would really made them classy and pop. They are very nice cookies. Enjoy.

2winboyz Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you all for taking the time response. I am relieved that you agreed with my plan! Thanks for the gold border idea...I love the idea. Will run it by my friend and hope she likes it too.

Thank you again!

all4cake Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 13

Just an idea...If you made the characters in advance in royal (like one would make lace points...on sheets of lightly greased waxed/parchment paper placed over templates)...allowed them to dry...painted them gold...can make them weeeeeeeell in advance...

Then, after the cookies are baked...

flood the cookie in red...while it's still wet, set the characters in place...there would be less steps done on the cookie after it's baked.

2winboyz Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #7 of 13

all4cake that's a very good idea! i haven't worked too much with RI, if I do the characters in advance, will they be too fragile to handle? and how long would it take to dry before handling them do you think?

i appreciate everyone's feedback - thank you for taking the time to respond.

leily Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 13

All4cake has a good idea of doing the characters in advance, however I wouldn't place them on the wet royal icing background. They may sink into it and the red may bleed onto the gold.

But I don't know how I would go about attaching them, maybe let the background dry for a few hours first? Maybe someone else has done something like this before.

Otherwise, is fondant an option? Can cut all of the red squares before you even bake and then either hand paint the characters in gold, or add the royal icing to them.

all4cake Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #9 of 13

As with most ri elements done off cake/cookie then applied, it is wise to make extras to allow for breakage. I find this a compromise I really don't mind as my freehand sucks lollipops and I'm able to do them well in advance to alleviate the stress of last minute decorating. No, they're not too fragile to handle as long as you don't grip 'em like a winning hand in Gin. I would allow them to dry overnight before painting (longer depending on humidity) and several hours or overnight after painting (again, depending on humidity).

As long as your flooding ain't too thick(depthwise) nor too thin (fluidwise), they'll settle...not sink like be buried....Here, the flooding was a bit thicker (depthwise) than a #2 and thinner than school glue...

Montrealconfections Posted 13 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #10 of 13

Have you considered stenciling the characters on? With a large amount of cookies this is the fastest way to do it not to mention each cookie will look identical. I would do the base & stencil in Red then add the gold luster dust. If you want to glam them up get some PME luster spray this is the fastest most effortless way to "fancy" up a cookie. See my icon that's a stencil.

just_for_fun Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #11 of 13

Doing them in advance on parchment will also help the gold stay on the characters. I find that when I paint gold, it is very hard to keep it neat, especially if you have to do alot. Also, if you can do it with a stencil, wait for the RI to dry, then put the stencil back on while you brush the gold on. It also keeps it neater.

Beautiful cookies, so neat!

2winboyz Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 13

Here is the final product. It was a lot of fun decorating these cookies. I ended up writing the character with RI after the red dried. Then went over the character with old gold lustre dust paint. Thank you again for all your help with this...

all4cake Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 13

Well done! A lot of work for such a little thing, eh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%