Going From 2" To 3" Pan Depth

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:59am by lardbutt

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #1 of 25

I am considering buying some 3" pans. It seems like it would be so much easier to bake once and torte that layer instead of baking 2 layers. I know it will take longer to bake, but is it worth it the trouble saved?

I've also thought my cakes just looked too tall sometimes. Am I missing something? Why aren't we all using 3 " pans......I wanna know what size you use!

24 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:36am
post #2 of 25

On the 3" pans you have to torte and fill to get the full 3 inches. The 2" pans doubled should be right at 4" tall. There should be a serving chart for 3" pans.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:43am
post #3 of 25

I don't know about anyone else but I bought 3" pans and I hate them. I'm going to stick with my 2" pans. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Sorry...not trying to hijack your thread icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:45am
post #4 of 25

That's what I'm saying.....the pan chart says the servings don't change, because it will just be about an inch shorter. We have to put the icing in between the 2 layers anyway. So really, the only difference is cutting the 3" layer in half.

I think I've just about talked myself into buying the 3 inch pans, LOL!

BTW, my tiers end up being over 4 inches by the time I fill and ice the outside.

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I don't know about anyone else but I bought 3" pans and I hate them. I'm going to stick with my 2" pans. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Sorry...not trying to hijack your thread icon_lol.gif

Oh, you are NOT hijacking!!! I NEED your opinion!!! Thanks!!
What did you hate about them?

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:49am
post #6 of 25

Yeah, I just double checked and the serving size stays the same. It's the batter amounts that change. If I torte and fill a 3", wouldn't it then be a little taller that 3 inches in the end?

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:55am
post #7 of 25

I didn't like the way the cake baked. Maybe I'm just too use to my 2" pans icon_lol.gif . I also thought that I would bake one 3" cake, torte it and then that would be easier than making two 2" and torting them. Wrong. I still need the 2 layers.

I just like the way my 2" pans bake my cakes. I guess it's just what you get use to.

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:59am
post #8 of 25

So you even torte the 2" layers of cake?

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:05am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardbutt

So you even torte the 2" layers of cake?

Yes I do. I love the way it looks when you slice into the cake. icon_lol.gif My 2" cakes are really 2". I always overfill my pans so that I have a full two inch cake after leveling. I like tall cakes. I torte everything. Have to admit that I didn't use to torte any of my cakes, but once I torted my first cake I was hooked on doing it that way. It just makes a prettier cake. IMO

BlakesCakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:26am
post #10 of 25

I have various sizes of pans. If I have a 3" in the size I need, I use it, but my goal isn't a 3 inch cake--just a good, full, 2 inch layer.

I was collaring my 2" pans so that when I overfilled, even the edges came up over the top of the pan. I hated the extra work and I didn't like the way the top edges pulled inward.

With using 3" pans for 2" layers, I get taller, flatter layers.

I torte and fill my 2" layers. My tiers are then between 4 and 4 1/2 inches tall when iced.

Rae

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:03am
post #11 of 25

Okay, then I must be doing something wrong because I can NEVER get a full 4 inches out of my 2, 2" cakes (even with strips). It's almost always a little short. I don't have 3" pans, but I was thinking the servings would be different. So they just get an inch less cake per serving?

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #12 of 25

I collar my pans. Probably why I get a little more "height". Forgot to add that little bit of info icon_lol.gif .

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:14am
post #13 of 25

Ahhh... okay. I don't torte bday cakes either..that may be some of my problem. Do you have any trouble with the layers trying to break?
Sorry this is off subject icon_sad.gif

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #14 of 25

I use magic line pans (2") and I overfill my pans and alwasys get exactly 2 " cakes. I level them off while they are still in the pan. And I NEVER torte anything, I just put the layers together with icing as the filling. I figured it up last night and I could save ALOT just in ingredients using the 3 " pans....

Thanks for helping me think this through! I think I better just buy one pan instead of the set to see if I like it or not.

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Okay, then I must be doing something wrong because I can NEVER get a full 4 inches out of my 2, 2" cakes (even with strips). It's almost always a little short. I don't have 3" pans, but I was thinking the servings would be different. So they just get an inch less cake per serving?

Oh yeah, I meant to say they do just get an inch less of cake. It's funny because when I have served my cakes at weddings, I thought they barely fit on the little plate anyway and would look better a tad shorter.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Ahhh... okay. I don't torte bday cakes either..that may be some of my problem. Do you have any trouble with the layers trying to break?
Sorry this is off subject icon_sad.gif

No Kelli, I've never had any problems with breaking/cracking layers. I'm very careful when handling my cakes plus they're usually partially or completely frozen when I torte them.

sweettoothmom1 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 25

I love my 3" pans. They fill up enough so that when i torte, i get 2" of levelled layers, without having to do collars.

Ellie1985 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 25

mamarobin, how do you collar a pan? parchment paper?

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

yes. thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

yes. thumbs_up.gif

Okay, I'm going to have to try that... any tips?

cookiedecorator Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #21 of 25

I bought 3" pans in the 9x13 and 11x15. I love them.

lardbutt Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #22 of 25

I just purchased a 3" x 8" wilton oan from Michael's. I am going to try it tonight with 2" and 3" and take pics of the finished cake. I will try to post pics tonight or tomorrow to show the difference. If I like using the 3", I am buying all of them from Magic Line.

BTW, My Michael's had Duff's products out today!! I bought an offset spatula. It is stainless steel and all one piece. It looks really sturdy.

lardbutt Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:45am
post #23 of 25

Oh crap! It sank in the middle....bad! I guess I will try again another time. I'm outta eggs tonight. I am really disappointed!

BlakesCakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:55am
post #24 of 25

If you're looking to get a true 3" layer, you'll need at least a flower nail for a heating core in the middle of the batter, even in an 8" cake.

I now put flower nail(s) in every cake except 4" or 6" layers.

HTH
Rae

lardbutt Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:59am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you're looking to get a true 3" layer, you'll need at least a flower nail for a heating core in the middle of the batter, even in an 8" cake.

I now put flower nail(s) in every cake except 4" or 6" layers.

HTH
Rae

I did use one flower nail in the 8" pan. It didn't just sink a little, it looks like it fell alot. The texture of the cake is really off. I wonder if I made a mistake with my ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%