How Do I "paint" Silver & Gold On Royal Icing.

Decorating By curlsandcrowns Updated 12 May 2010 , 1:11am by DamarisC

curlsandcrowns Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 6

what is the best "paint " or what do i mix, i need a vibrant gold, to really look like gold and a silver to look like a shiny silver.
thanks so much for the help.

5 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 6

I think it helps if you 'tint' the royal icing a little when your piping it. NOT much, but a little. its kinda like trying to paint red on white walls, it takes LOTS of coats and is never true- unless you paint them grey first....

and I use vodka (only cause I 'borrowed' a bottle from my SIL, when it runs out, I'm not sure what I will get, vodka or everclear... cheapest either way.. LOL) and the gold or silver dust. I think its lusterdust.

FleurDeCake Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #3 of 6

i haven figured out how to do this successfully et but this past week i did try to use vodka and luse dust and my dried royal icing sort of melted ..

Montrealconfections Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 6

The icing needs to be very dry I tint it grey for silver yellow for gold I find that lemon essence gives a better final result than vodka.

curlsandcrowns Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 6

but which powder do i get to mix with the vodka.

DamarisC Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 6

I use Luster Dust or Pearl Dust, wilton has a lot of colors. if you have a michaels, I am sure they sell them there. Or online at any cake decorating site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%