Needing Help Asap Please

Baking By bella00 Updated 11 May 2010 , 1:46pm by bella00

bella00 Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I am making a cake for my friend. Baked all the cakes, froze them... I pulled them out today, torted them, stacked them all and everything was GREAT. I was thinking HEY, it must be my lucky day... Yeah, not so much... I am trying to ice them, and it is HORRIBLE. I am following Indydeb icing recipe to the T and it is just not working out. I have now scraped the same cake twice and going to try to reice it for the 3rd (yes, I said 3rd) time. I know, not sooo smart but I am completely out of time. I CAN NOT get the icing to crust if my life depended on it and I am getting ALL sorts of air pockets in it. I can not even get a SMOOTH finish. so, I tried to use Hi Ratio shortening thinking, u can't get me and yeah no dice. I am out of options and was hoping someone could help me out. I really need the icing to crust to use an impression mat but... If I can just get some icing to "stick" on the cake and not look like my 4yr old did it, that would be GREAT. I have NEVER had this propblem before. NEVER

12 replies
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 13

Did you crumb coat first? Did you ice your cakes frozen? I know that some people ice frozen cakes but I don't have much luck doing that. I can't seem to get the icing to crust when I do.

Crumb coat and wait for that to dry. Don't refrigerate. Then apply the final coat of icing. I use her receipe most of the time and I've never had any problems with it.

Hillywu Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 13

I've never used her recipe before, so I'm not really sure what the problem might be but how's the consistency of your icing? A few months back I had tried a crusting cream cheese recipe and thought it was thin enough to ice with. Yeah, right. It looked HORRIBLE! I was SO embarrassed to even let my family see this cake. What it came down to was that it was too thick (just a little) and it didn't spread nicely or crust for me. HTH.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 13

The only time I ever used her recipe and had the air pocket issue was when I had the mixer going too fast, not that that helps you now of course. You might try pm-ing Indydebi and asking her for any advice.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 13

To make sure that I don't have any air bubbles in my buttercream I use a wide spatula and press the icing against the bowl. Working out any air. Maybe this will help. I also make the buttercream the night before or a few hours before using it so that it has time to settle.

You said you followed the receipe to a T. How much milk did you use?

bella00 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #6 of 13

I used not quite a half. Alittle more then a 3rd but not as much as 1/2. I did crumbcoat frozen but always do. Ugh~ I am about at my end with this cake. I feel horrible about it and it is just really peeing me off. The icing is just not normal. I really don't know how else to explain it. And the fact that I just can not get it to crust is making it even worse. Nothing worse then feeling like u r giving a horrible cake to someone. I have been working on these cakes for 6hrs and I am still not even done with icing them. I dunno. I keep walking away from them, but it is so eating at me that I end up back in the kitchen scraping and icing all over again. I even had some meringue powder and threw some of that in there with a hail mary hoping it would at least smooth. Anyways~ Looks like i have a long night ahead of me. To rebake or not to rebake. Better decide fast. Thanks so everyones helpicon_smile.gif Wish me luck

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:06am
post #7 of 13

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. I've never had any trouble with the receipe myself so I guess I'm no help icon_lol.gif . Are you crumb coating first?

bella00 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #8 of 13

yes~ crumb coated first. I dunno. Not my day I guess. Thanks again for the help icon_smile.gif

LilaLoa Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:43am
post #9 of 13

You could try using an immersion blender to at least get any air bubbles out of the icing. Good luck.

all4cake Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #10 of 13

why would you rebake if the issue is with the icing? Did the cakes get destroyed from all the scraping and re-icing?

can you show us pictures of what it's doing?

Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

To make sure that I don't have any air bubbles in my buttercream I use a wide spatula and press the icing against the bowl. Working out any air. Maybe this will help. I also make the buttercream the night before or a few hours before using it so that it has time to settle.

You said you followed the receipe to a T. How much milk did you use?

I find when my buttercream sits, it becomes FULL of air bubbles. Even if it seems moderately smooth when I make it, after an hour its like completely pockmarked. I do NOT know what my problem is, unless its my 6 qt mixer.

I have even tried doing it Edna's way and everything..I mean, I make it work okay I guess but I would be so relieved if I could get a smooth creamy buttercream. I wish somebody could come to my house and make smooth bc in my mixer and then show me how they did it. haha.

nonilm Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #12 of 13

What type of beater are you using in your mixer? My first time I used the wire whip on my Kitchen Aid and ended up with crazy air bubbles. After switching to the flat beater I have had no problems.

I have not used Indydebs recipe so I can't help there, sorry.

Good Luck

bella00 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 13

I too use the flat beater on my KA. I didn't end up rebaking, but my theory was, that after scraping 2 of the tiers 3 times each, I thought maybe it was the crumb coat that was left on preventing my icing from crusting properly. I know far catch, but I have no idea what else could of been the problem. I put all my icing back into the mixer. Added some more powder sugar, and some meringue powder and finally got it to crust. It is by far, not great but...... Plus, in the scrapping of the cakes, my cakes were alittle compromised. Doesn't help that I was doing squares and they are already alittle harder for me to ice then a round. I don't know. I used to use a half butter/crisco recipe, and that alwyas worked great for me as in smoothness of the icing. But didn't hold up well in the heat and humidity of Indiana. Looks like I will need to start some trails till I find out what works best. Thanks again everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%