Peanut Allergies

Decorating By judyj2 Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:51am by jlh

judyj2 Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, I usually make the WASC cake which is delicious but I am afraid to use it for children's birthday cakes because of the Almond extract. Does anyone know if almond extract should not be used where children are concerned.

2 replies
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:04am
post #2 of 3

Only if allergies are a concern. You can either ask the parents of the attendees, or just use something in its place, like a little more vanilla. I think it's nice of you to think of the kids in this way; I myself do always ask parents before serving their kids something with nuts in it. Heck at this point, if the use of nuts is not obvious (i.e. an extract like this cake...rather than blatantly nutty foods like peanut butter cookies) I even let the adults know.

If you have a business and are trying to decide if this is a safe recipe to use as a "standard" recipe I'd say...well, basically the same thing: you can use it but you would need to inform prospective customers that the cake is not nut-free, in case allergies are a concern.

jlh Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:51am
post #3 of 3

I know there is a difference with peanut allergies vs. other "tree" nut allergies. I gave a peanut child one of my NFSC cookies. I had added almond extract. He had a peanut allergy, and THANKFULLY did not react to the almond extract. Long story on how it happened, but anyhow, he was fine. I have found that most parents still won't want to touch almond extract anyhow, for the "what if" factor. Good luck. I can be challenging, but the allergy parents will absolutely love you for going to such great lenghths for their kids. It's amazing at how often the kids get excluded from the goodies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%