Cupcake In An Ice Cream Cone

Baking By Megz8706 Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:02pm by KHalstead

Megz8706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megz8706 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have any tips for making cupcakes in ice cream cones?I've never made them and I'm afaid they'd spill when I was puttin them in the oven.

13 replies
thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 14

If you put set the cones in a cupcake pan, or muffin pan, they should bake up fine. Remember not to over-fill them. I used to do this a lot and it is great fun.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 14

dont overfill! lol. and also, i can enver manage to to get them dome shape high eneough, so i usually bake some baby mini cupcakes at the same time, then ct them in half and stick it on top before i ice to give me that higher shape. =) i have 2 types in my pics. =)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 14

When you guys bake in cones do your cones get soft and stale or stay crisp? I thought it would be awesome to bake some in those waffle cone bowls! They looked cute as heck, but then the bowl was all soft and stale. YUK!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 14

well, if they over flow, they go soft and yuck, thats why i reckon its better to underfill and glue a cupcake on top rather than risk it.. but otherwise they have stayed crunchy for me.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 14

The only type of cones I have ever used are the flat bottom ones that you buy in the packages at the grocery store. They have never gotten soft or soggy in the past. They baked up nicely and made a really pretty display. It does help to secure the cones with a dot of icing on the bottom if the display is going to be moved. Of course, you could transport them decorated in the muffin pan and put them out when you get them to wherever they might be going. I haven't done any in a couple of years, and I have never tried the waffle cones.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 14

I've baked them in a mini muffin pan, which held the cones nicely. And I have found that it is best to only fill them up to about a cm below the top. If you fill them up more, it takes forever for them to bake. I've never decorated mine -- I just do them when I am supposed to bring a snack and there are a lot of kids.

PinkChateau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkChateau Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 14

I saw somewhere where they baked the cupcake first THEN inserted it into the cone with a little BC for glue as well as some jelly beans or something edible in the bottom of the cone to weigh it down. HTH.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkChateau

I saw somewhere where they baked the cupcake first THEN inserted it into the cone with a little BC for glue as well as some jelly beans or something edible in the bottom of the cone to weigh it down. HTH.

Oh I would hate that--the best thing about them is that the cake is baked all the way to the bottom of the cone!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 14

have you ever seen the "joy" brand "kid's cones" they're so tiny.......I made cupcakes with those one time (before I started "doing cakes" so I didn't take a photo) but they were a hit at the family picnic! People went nuts! They were really cute though! lol

The cones are like 2 bites, they're so tiny!

kathys_cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys_cupcakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

That was on howdini.com (betty crocker kitchen) icon_smile.gif

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 14

A good tip I read somewhere (cant remember where or I'd give credit!) and have tried and it works, is to cover your entire muffin pan with heavy duty foil, and poke a hole in each of the muffin compartments, then stick your cone in the holes, so that it kind of "holds" it up.. as long as you dont knock it around too much and make the holes too big, the foil will hold the cones up. Overfilling is a problem that I usually have, I have read not to fill more than 3/4 way full, but I still find that amount is too full sometimes because i end up with the occasional overspilled baked cone.. i usually do it half way.

kathys_cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys_cupcakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 14

How much batter, say i was to use a box mix, does it make...12 cc cones? 24 cc cones?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 14

I think a box mix makes about 20 of them! Really depends on "how full" you make them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%