What Flower Is This?

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 17 May 2010 , 8:55pm by pattycakes55d

pattycakes55d Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 11

A potential customer brought this photo in from a recent magazine. Sorry the pic is not as clear as we'd like. Anyone know and if so how do I make this flower? Also, I know that it depends on where you live, etc. yet I wonder what people would charge for this? She only wants bottom 2 tiers cake and others dummies. Thanks for any help you can give
LL

10 replies
peg818 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 11

Looks like a 5 petal blossom cutter to me. There are several on the market. And maybe pearls for the the centers.

pattycakes55d Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:49am
post #3 of 11

If there are different names for the 5 petal blossom cutters do you have any idea which one it may be? Those are pearls in the middle.

peg818 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 11

there are several on the market, i would look to the jem all in one rose cutter, they come in lots of sizes. Just look right at globals site they have them.

I just wanted to add that wilton makes a five petal cutter, its a rose bouquet cutter kit. Has a couple of different sizes and might serve you just fine with out spending a fortune.

pattycakes55d Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 11

thanks a lot. Will check Wilton's first.

Sweet_Guys Posted 15 May 2010 , 7:50am
post #6 of 11

As far as your pricing question, I would charge the same price for the dummies as I would for the edible cake. You're spending the same amount of time and materials. Instead of buying ingredients for cake and buttercream, you're buying styrofoam and making sure you protect the styrofoam from touching the edible portion of the cake.

Paul

pattycakes55d Posted 15 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 11

thanks, that makes sense. And the dummies will make carrying a lot easier. I would probably put the cake together at the event and then put the flowers on. Or maybe not, what is the best?

requel Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 11

I agree with Sweet_Guys, its the same work even thought it's not cake.

newmansmom2004 Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 11

They look like fantasy flowers to me. See this tutorial:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Fantasy-Gumpaste-Flowers

Pricing would be your per slice cost multiplied by the number of slices this cake provides.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 11

For the different sizes of flowers, wilton's gumpaste flower kit might be what you want. I think it has four or five different sizes. All you would do is frill the edges and dry in formers...egg cartons or paint palettes (that haven't been used before for paint of course icon_biggrin.gif ) or even foil laid over a muffin tin and pressed a little way into each cup, to make a curved surface. If you use the heavy duty foil you can lift it off the tin and it will still hold its shape.

pattycakes55d Posted 17 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #11 of 11

thanks Texas_Rose for the instructions and everyones' comments. I've made simple flowers to go on children's cakes, but not for a wedding cake before and it's the main attraction on this cake. I'm nervous. Should I make the flowers with 100% gumpaste? I would put the pearls on after the flower has dried, yes? Is there luster dust on them? Anything else I should know? I feel a little dumb asking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%