Icing Between Cake And Fondant

Decorating By atwistedlime Updated 11 May 2010 , 12:06am by atwistedlime

atwistedlime Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 6

You gals and guys are so full of wonderful knowledge I wish I had time to just spend hours on the sight (already have and I see it is the tip of the iceberg). I am looking for a little advice.

I am making my first cake with a fondant "cover" and I want to make sure I have all my info and know what is the best to do.

I know I need to add icing between the cake and the fondant and I was wondering which types of icing work best. I have made butter based buttercreams in the past but I see a lot of people here use Crisco based. Is there a preference?

My plan is to make an altered cake mix with the Peanut butter recipe from the recipe page and I wanted to make a chocolate BC. My time is amazingly tight this week so I am going to focus more on the fondant and skip layering the cake this time. Would a general chocolate BC with a base of butter work for between or is there a better way?

Also I want to make sure the Peanut Butter cake recipe will stand up to a topper? My plan is to do a 9 inch base cake with a half Wilton Sports Ball as a topper (picture Mickey Mouse Ear Hat).

Thank you all so much for your information. I am so pleased to have found your forum. icon_biggrin.gif
Leslie

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

Icing that sits up firm is better to use under fondant than cream cheese icing or any icing that tends to be on the soft side. I use both SMBC and crusting bc for my icing and they both work just fine. I also use ganache under fondant.

atwistedlime Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

I hadn't even considered ganache that would be tasty. I will think on this. Thank you for your response.

I was thinking about doing the base cake in PB and then maybe a simple chocolate for the topper. I could use ganache on the PB and then a simple crusting bc for the top... My brain is a swirl with ideas. icon_eek.gif

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

I think the ganache will be really good with pb...yummy thumbs_up.gif

cathyscakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #5 of 6

Were you planning on putting the ball on a cardboard plate and dowel the bottom cake, then you won't have to worry about the weight of the ball, it should be supported.

atwistedlime Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 6

I had a number of contemplations but didn't have a solid plan yet. I need to get to the store for the last of my supplies. I have a feeling once I make this cake for my husband a couple other family members are going to want one. icon_biggrin.gif

I figured I might get a reusable cake round if they aren't overly expensive with a cake pillar. The cake is going to have to travel from Seattle to Portland by car (3 hours) so I am torn between that and maybe just waiting and assembling there. I haven't done any cakes stacked like this in years and there are so many new cool toys! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%