Top Edge Falling (Bc Sugarshack Technique)

Decorating By lauras231279 Updated 11 May 2010 , 6:56pm by sugarshack

lauras231279 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauras231279 Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help with my problem. Im trying to get a nice sharp edge on my buttercream but have the following problem.

When extending the side icing to be higher than the top so I can remove it later, it sinks back down and is too low when i come to remove it. is this a consistency problem? When i come to remove it, its lower than the top and this also means that I end up with the top of the side not having enough bc and being patchy! I think its consistency of icing to blame but I dont really know how it should look once I make it up.

icon_cry.gif

6 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 7

it sounds like you may have added too much liquid and your icing is too soft or possibly you used it right after you made it? i like to make my icing the night before or early in the day and as sharon recommends let it cool a bit from all the friction of being beat and it will firm up a little. next time you make the bc maybe go a couple tablespoons less or you may have to add a tad bit more ps. have you seen her youtube video of making her buttercream? she also has an awesome dvd about buttercream with tips and techniques for making bc and icing your cake.

hth!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 7

icing is too soft for sure. make it as stiff as u can and still work with it. use less liquid.

andcas is right, it will super soft and warm right after making it, let it sit to cool as well.

HTH

lauras231279 Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for the replies

Is there a point at which the frosting is too stiff and will become a problem? Would it just not spread?

sugarshack Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

it will just be way too hard too work with.... you will know, LOL

lauras231279 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much Sharon - I just want to say thanks for the DVD. I got it sent to me over here in Spain and I am so grateful for it! I just did a dummy cake and so far so good. I was about ready to chuck the whole thing in last weekend after trying to ice a cake with too runny frosting. lol.

sugarshack Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 7

consistency of the icing is key!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%