Do You Put Prices On Your Website?

Business By MariaK38 Updated 14 May 2010 , 10:06am by stelselv

MariaK38 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 17

Hi! I've recently put a website up for my business (buckeyes and edible favors like cookies and dipped treats). On it, I have pictures, a guest book, contact form, etc. I've been wondering if I should put prices on there, too. My prices vary... the more you order, the less $$ per piece. Also, packaging is not included because there are so many options (color, theme, accessories) and it depends so much on what the customer wants.
Do you put your prices on your website? Do you think it discourages customers or saves you time (don't have to meet with people that are cheap and would never pay good prices for good products, anyway?)
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks! Maria

16 replies
l80bug79 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 17

i just revised mywebsite and added the pricing. i teetered on the fence as to do it or not for the same reasons. get more business or scare them away. i'm cheap, but in line with the bakery in town.

-Tubbs Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 17

Definitely have your prices there. It's a big reason why the client went to your site in the first place.

If your pricing is complex, either think about simplifying it ( icon_smile.gif ) or put "from $xx. Ask for a quote"

Just a guideline is fine, but people definitely want to know rough prices at least.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 17

I have prices listed on my website also.As a customer if I am flipping around looking at sites and I see something I might want to buy...I want to know how much it is going to cost me without having to email to find out etc..Most people email if it is a complicated question etc but for the most part..If I don't see prices..I move on and click to another site..That is potential lost money!!

MariaK38 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 17

okay, you've convinced me! icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking of putting the price/terms sheet on with "packaging extra" or "custom packaging prices vary. please contact me for a quote" or "favor container prices vary. please contact me for a quote" What do you think sounds better?

Thanks!

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 17

I like favor container prices vary.Please contact me for a quote.Sounds better..Most people undertstand that there may be a upcharge depending what they choose.

KHalstead Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 17

definitely list at least a base price, and then let them know this includes arranging in a bakery box, custom packaging available for an additional charge.

leah_s Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 17

Yes, definitely my prices are on the website. If you can't afford me, you know right away. Saves us both time.

adamsmom Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 17

I have my prices listed on my website as well. It states that these are the base prices, and that additional flavors/quantities may be available upon request. I also made sure to put a disclaimer that "prices are subject to change" so if someone asks me how much it would cost for say 1 doz. cupcakes and I say it's $2 more than the website, my behind is covered. I also agree with the others that if they see what things generally cost and are still interested, then when I am contacted I know that they will most likely be a serious customer and not waste both of our time. HTH and good luck!

PinkZiab Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 17

I have my base per-serving prices on my website and explain that it is just a starting point. I also give my minimum order amount. As Leah said, if you can't afford me, I want you to know right away, so neither of us have wasted our time. I don't give detailed pricing for all sorts of things because every cake truly is priced based on the complexity of the design.

milly-mel Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 17

when i search things online, i am dissapointed when i cant find prices and would most likely go with a site that does lists prices. dont know why but i have always been like that

cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 17

Yeah - I absolutely hate it when I'm on the internet shopping and there's no price. It's too much of a pain in my butt to call. So...if that company doesn't have a price listed, they're not getting my money!

Of course, it's different in the cake world because you can't give a final price to each person. But definitely put "starts at...$." if nothing else. =o)

indydebi Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 17

To confirm what's already been said .....

This is the information age. We are dealing with the "instant info" generation. Brides have told me "If there is no pricing, I'm clicking out and moving on."

The archaic used-car-saleman thinking of "oh I'll post a teaser and give 'em my sales pitch when they call me" just isn't working anymore. Because they are not calling.

your first chance to sell them isn't when they call you .... it's when they press their nose against your internet shop window.

As leah said, I used pricing on my website as a pre-qualifier. If they saw my pricing and called me, then the sale was already half made.

UpAt2am Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 17

ditto what the others said...

i have a pricing page and it gives starting prices for every kind of treat that one would want to order. therefore, if a customer realizes that they can't afford the starting price, then they probably can't afford the complicated cake that they've dreamed up icon_smile.gif

example, tiered cakes start at $3.50/serving for BC; $4.50/serving for fondant. so if a bride knows she's having 100 guests and her budget was $200, then hopefully she knows she doesn't even need to waste her, or my, time emailing me.

i also have a line on there about my carved cakes "start at $100, whether you need to feed 2 or 200"
again, this is to weed out the girl who want to surprise her boyfriend with a "cake shaped and decorated to look just like a sportscar to feed just the 2 of us" but her budget is $10 because it just needs to feed 2 people icon_eek.gif

i put minimum orders for my cupcakes, mini cupcakes and cookies along with the starting price.

i feel like this system works for me...but everyone is different icon_biggrin.gif

milly-mel Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

again, this is to weed out the girl who want to surprise her boyfriend with a "cake shaped and decorated to look just like a sportscar to feed just the 2 of us" but her budget is $10 because it just needs to feed 2 people icon_eek.gif

SERIOUSLY????

classiccake Posted 13 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #16 of 17

I debated long on this, because I had a lazy webmaster and if I wanted to change prices, it could be a problem for awhile, so I did not put prices. Now, I have a responsible person doing the site and I am putting starting prices on, just to avoid the many calls asking about pricing.

stelselv Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:06am
post #17 of 17

I am cracking my head too about pricing, here is _Switzerland everything expensive, you can't get buy anything for less than 2chf, not even eggs or butter or sugar for that matter..

maybe you can state your prices like this on the website

1 - 20 cupcakes (or cookies) = $XX each

21 to 40 cupcakes (or cookies) 0= $xx each

more than 41 please ask for a quote.

for cake 8inch cake with deco - from $XXX
(xmas and wedding cakes - please ask for a quote)...................
etc

I am planning to state my prices like this..

all the best..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%