Cream Cheese Icing To Decorate With?

Decorating By cberget504 Updated 12 May 2010 , 12:13am by ceshell

cberget504 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a recipe for a good cream cheese icing that I can decorate with? I was hoping to find one that crusts like buttercream. Please send ideas my way!!!!

7 replies
jobueno Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 8

I believe there is a crusting cream cheese icing recipe in the recipes section here. If you can't find it, make your regular buttercream with high ratio shortening and add 8 oz of cream cheese for flavor. This icing will crust and have the taste of cream cheese. You can adjust the flavor accordingly.

ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:26am
post #3 of 8

The crusting cream cheese is great and works well for decorating. Also you can google Earlene's cream cheese icing recipe, it's on her website. It's also stable at room temp for several days.

NikkiB912 Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:03am
post #4 of 8

This is the recipe I like...I use 1 cup of shortening instead of 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter. It is sweet though.

cakeflake80 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

I'm so happy that you posted this because I was just going to do the same thing! I am making a baby shower cake for this weekend and my aunt wants carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I have never tried to really decorate with cream cheese frosting....I have only used the store bought kind for when I make my husband carrot cake, and I can't imagine trying to decorate/smooth that stuff!!!!

Will this type of crusting cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated once on the cake? I am trying to avoid having to put the finished cake in the fridge, if at all possible.

ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 8

The Earlene's recipe does not need to be refrigerated. I don't recall if the crusting cream cheese does though...

cakeflake80 Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you....I will google her recipe and try it out tomorrow. Have you tried it? Does it crust enough so that it can be smoothed?

ceshell Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:13am
post #8 of 8

I have not tried it but it's a pretty popular recipe and I am prettttttttttttty sure crusts and can be smoothed using traditional methods. You can take a peek around the forums here (search earlene's cream cheese / search all terms) and you might be able to find out for sure, or I think she may even mention it on her website. Sorry I don't have more info! I just prefer using a butter recipe so I always plan to I've never needed to use that particular recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%