Red Velvet Cake Disaster- Why Is It Half Red????

Baking By SugarBakers05 Updated 22 May 2010 , 4:38am by robyndmy

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

hey all, I've been baking red velvet cakes lately and noticed that the sides and bottom are brown (not overcooked or burned) but the top and middle is red. I did another one this weekend, and this time the whole cake was brown, but get this- just a small cirlcle in the middle of the cake was red??? What is going on? Does this happen to anyone else? I use the Cake Man Raven recipe-- I sift the cocoa - I mean it tastes like red velvet cake, but looks nothing like it..Any tips/advice would be appreciated

8 replies
SugarBakers05 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 9

Has anyone ever have something like this happen or is it just me?? icon_confused.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 9

I've never had that happen....

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

I've never had it happen, either. But if it happens again, (hopefully it won't) post a picture of the cut cake. That may give someone a clue about what is going on.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 9

what colouring do you use?
is it mixed in properly?
sounds like a pretty uniqe problem, i havent seent his one before!
xx

AnitaKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaKay Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 9

I think it has something to do with the mixing of the vinegar and baking soda. Wait to add these two ingredients until just before you are ready to pour batter in your pans. First add the vinegar and stir it in with a wooden spoon and then last add the baking soda, stirring it in with a wooden spoon. I have an old family recipe that tells me to do this and I have never had a problem.

SugarBakers05 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 9

Really! I think I will try that and see how that works..I have some pics and will post them..its the weirdest thing. I sift the cocoa, and the batter is a really bright red when i pour it in the pans.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 9

I have been making Red Velvet cakes for about 30 years and I always mix the cocoa, water and red food coloring together in a bowl and then pour it into the cake mixture. Make sure you use a spatula to get all of it into the mix. thumbs_up.gif When I mix the vinegar and baking soda together and pour into the batter I use a whisk to mix it thoroughly in. Make sure you use up, over and down to mix it in thoroughly. When that is done I usually turn the bowl and mix again, being sure to get the batter on the bottom of the bowl. By doing so you will get the vinegar/soda mix into all the batter and will avoid the different colors when the cake has baked. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
evelyn

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #9 of 9

hrrm, I'm having this colour problem too. I read through this post, then baked a cake tonight...and it's so brown on the outside! I used about 40ml of Club House liquid colouring (though I've used Wilton red paste in the paste with the same affect), added the vinegar and baking soda last, and whisked it in (thanks for the tip cakegrandma!)... but still, brown on the exterior, even though the batter before baking is a beautiful vibrant red.

Why can't I get that gorgeous red through and through??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%