Help!!!!

Business By Enticing_Designs Updated 10 May 2010 , 4:56pm by Sagebrush

Enticing_Designs Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 3

I have discovered over the past 2 years that I have a passion for baking and decorating. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that my grandmother had this passion as well, and she passed away a little over a year ago. So I feel as if I'm carrying on a part of her. Either way, as I have started to make cakes for my children's birthday parties, baby showers and other small events for friends and family, people have been asking me to make cakes for them. And they are willing to pay as well. They all rant and rave about how I should start a business and all that good stuff. It makes me feel very good and as much as I would love to make a business out of it, I really can't. First of all I do not have any formal training in baking or decorating. I just have a natural talent and knack for it. However, training would be wonderful!! And two, I am about to have my 3rd child any day now, and so with a 3 and 2 year old to boot, I am not going to have much time to focus on baking and decorating as far as a business goes. I do want to still receive orders and make these cakes for people, and I of course want to charge them, as they are willing to pay. But I have read in so many places that to do so, I must have a business license and insurance. This means I am subject to having an inspection in my home, and heath inspectors coming in unannounced to do so. With 3 kids, I can't guarantee my house is going to be spick and span on any given day they want to show up!! Not to metion the other things that come along with owning a business. I just want to be able to do what I love, bring in a little extra cash for gas, or diapers, or whatever I might be in need of at the moment, without making it so official when I don't see it as necessary. Is this crazy?? LOL I definately don't want to break the law, but I'm also not popping out cakes left and right and making tons of money. And is it wrong to type up a price list to give to people when they ask about getting a cake? I hate when they ask right off the bat, "how much do you charge?" and I don't even know the size or detail involved in making it! I guess that might seem like a business, but I'm not the best when it comes to discussing prices. I'd rather just hand them a price list, ya know? What do I do??? Any and all advice is very appreciated icon_smile.gif

2 replies
7yyrt Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 3

Well, start here for rules and regulations in North Carolina.
http://www.agr.state.nc.us/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

Sagebrush Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 3

Unfortunately food is treated much differently than most other things a homemaker might be interested in doing to bring in a little extra cash. It's certainly not fair, but that's how it is. Check out your state rules first... you may be one of the lucky ones that live in a place that's less uptight about such low-risk items. However, if you did start doing this w/o the proper approvals, all it takes is for someone (an unhappy customer, one of your good customers'guests, someone you know that's petty) to know you're not legal and decide to make an issue of it for you to end up in big trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%