Need Help On A Name!!

Business By Bean123 Updated 20 May 2010 , 7:52pm by Bean123

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 13

I am starting up a cake business and need help on name ideas. I will be making cakes and cupcakes for all occasions. I will have a small storefront (which will have a showcase of 'fake' cakes for people to look at as well as photos of cakes). I will also have a display case with cupcakes for people to buy.
any suggestions would be very helpful! thanks!

12 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 13

It's kind of hard to come up with a name that's generic, i.e. having to do with cakes, that hasn't been used before.

I think your best bet is to somehow incorporate your name ("Carrie's Cakery") or something about the location ("Cakes on Clark").

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 13

Ive been trying to think of something for my own. I'll probably end up using my name in the title. Everyone keeps telling me I should because I have an unusual name. I really don't want to, but oh well. Honestly I feel weird about using my name in the title...it makes me feel kind of....I dont know what the word is.....not exactly egotistical, not that extreme. I dont know. I cant think of anything else I really like though so I guess I'll be using my name. It will stand out, that's for sure. icon_smile.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 13

For myself, my home-based kitchen opened in January, which is named JaimeCakes (no space in there!!) for one main reason. At least in Pennsylvania, you do not need to file legal paperwork to verify no other business has your name as long as your name is in the title. Since I am starting on a shoestring, it made sense to throw my name in there rather than jump through legal hoops!!!
In your case, try surfing the internet by googling key words and see the different variations out there and come up with a combo you like. If I had gone thr route with an unique name, I always liked the words "Cakery" or "Shoppe" in my bakery title -- not sure why, but they sound cute!!
Best wishes! Be sure to let us know what you come up with!
~ Jaime

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know if I'd go with such a specific (ie. street) location name... if you don't have your ideal place to start with and you ever get a chance to move up, it might cause you problems. You could use a more generic location name (for instance, I live in Colorado Springs, and we have a bakery here called Altitude Sweets Bakery, and a coffee shop called Pike's Perk... referring to the local mountain Pike's Peak... and both names would allow them to change location and/or expand to multiple locations).

How cutesy/quirky/serious are you looking for?

Do you have a nickname? Anything cute/sweet DH/kids/family/friends say about you regarding caking? Favorite color/flower/critter/word that might work to personalize the name?

Bean123 Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the advice so far...I want the name to be kinda cute and really stick with people....here is more about me - my nickname is Bean, I don't have kids yet, my favourite colour is pink, I have two cats - Pickles and Olive....hope this helps!
keep the thoughts coming! I appreciate it!!

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 13

What about Vanilla Bean Bakery?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabriana

I vote for this one! thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:54am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

Ditto!!! icon_biggrin.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

Ditto!!! icon_biggrin.gif

So cute!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #11 of 13

A few suggestions:

A touch of elegance
Sweet Sensations
Dreamcakes

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 13

I like Vanilla Bean Bakery... you could change it up a few different ways:

Vanilla Bean Cake Shoppe
Vanilla Bean Sweet Shoppe
Vanilla Bean Cakery

The Pink Vanilla Bean ________ (Bakery, Cakery, Cake Shoppe, Sweet Shoppe), and you could have your signature item be a pink vanilla bean cake.

Bean123 Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 13

thanks for all the suggestions!!
Since there is already a Vanilla Bean Cakes in Canada...I polled my family and decided on 'Frosting On Top'

now, I just need a tagline..any suggestions??

thanks
Colleen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%