Costco Cake Flavor...

Baking By cakesbykeka Updated 11 May 2010 , 7:41am by ceshell

cakesbykeka Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 2

How do they taste like?

wedding cake question!
I will make my friend's wedding cake in 2 weeks and she said she is ok with pretty much any cake, but the one she likes best is the yellow cake from Costco?!?!!? ( for a wedding cake?!) oh well, since I have no idea how they taste like, has anyone here ever tried?

1 reply
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:41am
post #2 of 2

LOL, the yellow Costco cake is pretty much a standard tasting yellow butter flavored cake. I admit, people love 'em. They are OK in my opinion. If she likes that cake I think she would probably really like the Rebecca Rather (Pastry Queen) White on White Buttermilk Cake as that cake, although technically a white cake, is yellowish in color due to the buttermilk and butter, and has a delicious vanilla/butter flavor. The Sylvia Weinstock classic Yellow Cake is quite good too, but I can't recall how that compares flavor-wise to the Costco cake...I would say it's a bit different and possibly denser because of the sour cream, but it has a great taste. The RR cake is my go-to cake, and is loved by people who "swear by" the Costco cake. I think she just wants to make sure the cake is moist and buttery tasting.

I would try a few recipes (cut them in 1/2 or even 1/4) and see which one tastes most like a moist, fluffy buttery cake to you. If you do box baking though, I can't help much except to say I don't think the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) cake here compares to the Costco's a little denser, so dense that when I tried it on folks once, they even commented "This is good! But denser than the cakes you usually make...right?"

Good luck with your quest and hopefully someone else will have some more suggestions for a comparable cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%