If I Make My Own Fondant How Long Is It Good For And +

Baking By makeupdivaa Updated 11 May 2010 , 12:14pm by SPCC

makeupdivaa Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 6

how do i store it.

also any good recipes for marshmellow fondant?

5 replies
jobueno Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC makeupdiva.

You first question how long does it last for and how do you store it?

You can keep it wrapped tight in a container in the fridge for a couple of weeks or you can freeze it and make sure you let it come to room temp before you use it.

As far as recipes for marshmallow fondnat I'll tell you you can add LorAnn oils to the liquid before adding your sugar. any flavor you want. I have heard of people adding Kool Aid to thier fondant for flavor variations and color. I peronally don't like fruity so really the decision is up to you.
Happy decorating.

SPCC Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 6

I just used marshmallow fondant that has been in the fridge since before valentines day. I say as long as it softens fine in the microwave and tastes ok it should still be good. Make sure you put a fair share of crisco on it then wrap it up real good.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

How long do you zap it in the microwave? I pre-made some marshmallow fondant and nuked it for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. It felt warm to the touch but I had such a hard time rolling it out. My armpits were sore for days!! icon_cry.gif

robyndmy Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 6

I make my MMF out of 400g of mini marshmellows, 1kg of powdered sugar, a tbsp of clear vanilla, 1-2 tbsp of water, and then lots and lots of kneading. icon_biggrin.gif Once it's done, I put a nice layer of Crisco on the fondant, wrap in plastic wrap, put it into a zip loc bag or tupperware container, and then just toss it into the cupboard until I need it. I've used fondant up to two months later with no issues. Yay for high sugar content!!

Microwaving - I've found that 1-2 lbs of fondant (enough to cover a 9 inch and decorate) I can stick in the microwave for 2-3 intervals of 10 seconds, and then it's easy to work with again.

And I so want to try using Kool Aid sometime!

SPCC Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

How long do you zap it in the microwave? I pre-made some marshmallow fondant and nuked it for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. It felt warm to the touch but I had such a hard time rolling it out. My armpits were sore for days!! icon_cry.gif

if you were kneading a large amount your arms wil kill for days. It is a nice arm toner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%