Nothing Like Waiting Until The Last Minute.

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 11 May 2010 , 1:24pm by Marianna46

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 15

So I get a phone call last evening to talk about a wedding cake. Its the MOB. I ask when the wedding is and she replies in two weeks. (um, dont you think you should have thought about this sooner!) Shes telling me that the bride doesnt know what she wants, nothing fancy just three tiers stacked for under 100 people. I tell her my prices start at $3.00 a serving and delivery is $.50 per mile round trip. Shes okay with that. Then she states that well now there are only about 80 people coming. I simply tell her that you cant just bake a cake to feed a certain number of people you have to go by pan sizes. If a pan feeds 15 and you only need 12 servings you get charged for 15 based on the pan. Oh Okay, and the bride wants to keep the top tier. Anyway they are coming over tonight for a consult.

I dont know, Im frustrated that they wait until the last minute. I could really use the extra income but I just have a feeling about this one. She is a neighbor although I only speak to her about once a year. I need a back bone as I just have this feeling that they want this for next to nothing.

What would you do? I do have a 10% rush fee that will definitely be implemented on this sale if I get the order. Sorry just venting.

14 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 15

Certainly apply the rush fee and just be firm and professional. Neighbor or not, treat her like you would any other customer. You'll get a better feel for how it's going to go during the consultation. If it seems like it's going to be a pain in the butt let them go somewhere else. Good luck to them finding someone else to take on a cake 2 weeks before the wedding!!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 15

If you've got misgivings about this, either decline politely or make sure you get paid up front.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 15

People are so frustrating. She should be excited that you are even agreeing to consult about making a wedding cake with so little notice. Just stick to your guns. If your minimum price per serving is $3 then stick to it. Don't let them tell you that they only need 80 servings so the fact that the sizes of the tiers require that the serving number will be 87 (or whatever) is not their problem.
And absoutely stick with your 10% surcharge for a rush order. Get all of this info clearly in your mind before they come for their consult and be firm. Where else will they get a tiered cake on such short notice??

If they walk away then you've probably been spared a lot of hassle.

hisbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hisbird Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 15

I would usually say if your gut says no dont do it...but money is money. Let us know how it goes. Good luck! x

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 15

Get it all in writing and cash upfront. 2 weeks away? They should be paying for the whole thing today when they arrive.... icon_smile.gif

hisbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hisbird Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Get it all in writing and cash upfront. 2 weeks away? They should be paying for the whole thing today when they arrive.... icon_smile.gif

I agree with GI.x

ljhow623 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 15

I am sticking to my guns on this one.

On the side, I just found out from a very reliable source (DD) that she asked her what kind of cake I could make for $100.00 - This is going to be interesting.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 15

$100? You could give her a Twinkie pyramind for that.... icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 15

A sheet cake with buttercream roses in the corner.....

Viviel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viviel Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 15

For $100 sent her to Walmart to see what she can get.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 15

I bet it costs more the $100.00 for one of those Krispy Kreme Donut cakes.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhow623

I am sticking to my guns on this one.

On the side, I just found out from a very reliable source (DD) that she asked her what kind of cake I could make for $100.00 - This is going to be interesting.

Oh, man, I'd be the one starting the conversation when they walked in the door,

"Nice to meet you. My daughter tells me that you'd like to know what kind of cake I can make for $100..
With a minimum per serving price of $3, the delivery charge of .50 per mile (and I don't allow pick up of stacked cakes), and a rush fee of XXX, I can do something cute that will feed 10 and still allow you to keep your top tier for your first anniversary" icon_lol.gif

The I'd hand them the MapQuest directions to the nearest Wal Mart or grocery store.

NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE IMHO!!!!
Rae

ljhow623 Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 15

I did stick to my guns. And actually I got the order, paid in full in cash plus tip. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. Just goes to show you that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Come to find out they were going to get the cake from a grocery store but who ever was getting it decided they had a bad experience with a tiered cake crashing down while traveling so decided not to do it at the last minute.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 15

Congratulations! Post us a picture of the final results if you can, and let us know how the whole thing goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%