How Do I Cover Rkt With Fondant

Decorating By Hammonds Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 11:20am by judy2808

Hammonds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hammonds Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone explain the best way to cover RKT with Fondant? Do you frost RKT with Buttercream first? If so, is it a thin layer of Buttercream? Thanks for any suggestions!

13 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 14

You don't need to put anything between the RKT and the fondant. The fondant should be thick though. The thickness of the fondant will keep the little RKT nubs from showing through. Just remember, thicker is better in this case.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 14

You don't have to put anything on RKTs before covering them with fondant, but I've had good results icing them with either RI or ganache (even easier to handle than RI). This smooths out the bumps if you need a flatter surface.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 14

I put on a coating of buttercream.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 14

I always like a layer of BC, just to make sure it is nice and smooth.

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 14

I just worked with rkt the other day and have a couple questions. i had the same question. i was concerned that just putting fondant on the rkt would leave them bumpy and not smooth looking. I wasn sure if you should put buttercream below. It was suggested to me to blend the cereal in a food processor first before making the treats. I did this. and the feedback from the client was they were very hard and not good tasting. Does anyone on here do that or do you achieve a smooth figure with just the plain old rkt? Also, do you let them "dry" for a bit before putting buttercream and/or fondant on top? I did let them sit for a while before covering them and wonder if thats why they were harder. I want my stuff to taste good not just look good.

Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 14

The reason I use RI or ganache instead of buttercream is that I live in a very hot and humid place where no one has AC in the kitchen. An undercoating of buttercream in a place like this adds just enough moisture to weaken the fondant and make it slip down the sides of whatever you're covering, whether it's cake or an RKT figure. I imagine using buttercream under other circumstances would be just fine, as long as it can firm up enough not to squish around and get uneven once you've got the fondant on top of it. Good luck to all!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 14

I like to use ganache (if it's to be eaten) other wise RI to also add strength to the structure as well as smoothness.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 14

here is a duck cake I did a few weeks ago, I brushed the rkt w/ melted white chocolate so it was "semi-smooth" before adding the fondant. I wanted a nice perfectly smooth exterior so i wanted to REALLY make sure there would be no bumps from the rkt.

It worked perfectly, you can see that the head is perfectly smooth.....the front/chest area of the duck is a whole other thing lol (it was 95 degrees out that day!)
LL
LL

Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 14

What a cute cake! I'm telling you, you can work miracles with RKTs!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 14

this penguin was also done with RKT, only I didn't cover him with anything but a little bc and you can see he's a little lumpy LOL (luckily he required a shirt which helped cover it up a bit)
LL

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #12 of 14

Brushed with white chocolate! What a fantastic idea and how adorable it came out!!! I am going to have to try that next time!

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #13 of 14

I've found that covering with buttercream and then fondant works ok, but that using modeling chocolate only works even better!

HTH - Kim

judy2808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judy2808 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:20am
post #14 of 14

AWhen making the RKT, first blitz the Rice Krispies in your food processor to make them smaller dont go as far as a complete powder but do not be frightened to make it quite small. You get a much smoother finish all round.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%